Should the mother be to blame?

If a mother was in a car accident with her 10 month old and she had him forward facing (when the law of the state says all babies under the age of 1 must be rearfacing) and now the baby is in the ICU with a fractured skull and bleeding of his brain, the mother walked away with a few bruses.

Should the mother also be in trouble that this baby was in a toddler car seat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Possibly for negligence. You'd need to look at how the law is written on punishment for offenders.

I'm sure she learned a valuable lesson.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:41 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yes -- I am sure she feels bad already, but seats and state guildines are created to help prevent some of this. Although my daughter is big (and old) enough to sit in a booster, I do not feel as though those are safe enough to protect her still-growing and forming spine!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 1:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I really hope for the child and the family's sake this is a scenario question. But I wouldthink sooner or later some charges would be files.
    rebock

Answer by rebock at 1:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• YES!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No this happened to a family member of mine last week, and the mothers story has not been adding up to how the accident happened and how the baby was in the car but I do know they have him forward facing, because I tried to tell them by law in the state they have to be rearfacing untill 1yr old, I wish it never happened the baby is pulling threw strong but then some other family members are worried about sending him home with the mother now
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I am pretty sure that she will be at least fined for not having the child in the proper restraints.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• yes. she should be fined at least because it is the LAW that they must be RF'd to 1 AND 20 lbs AND all car seats say that they need to RF to the same at least!
    This is a health hazard and that poor baby was depending on his parents to protect him and keep him safe!
    MumsTheWord571

Answer by MumsTheWord571 at 2:02 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Okay, from a personal experience.. My DH's stepsister caused an accident that injured 2 of her children, causing brain damage and after a year the death of one of her children. She was charged with negligence and her children were taken away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• She should be charged with the failure to properly restrain her child - in other words, the same charge she would have gotten had the infraction been found during a normal traffic stop.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yes. She was breaking the law and being very negligent regarding her child's safety.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2011