My son is 4 and i cant get him to quit sucking his thumb any suggestion

chunkybooty

Asked by chunkybooty at 4:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have you tried painting that stuff on his nail? Its this bitter nail polish stuff. Or you could make him stick it in his ear first and get it all ear-waxy cuz that's a nasty taste, too. My dentist said that my son was likely sucking his fingers or thumbs because of the way his teeth were shifting but I never noticed him doing it until after the dentist told me that. He was 4 at the time. I told him that he needs to be more aware of it because it's making his teeth crooked. So, every time I saw him doing it and asked him to stop, he would. At least it wasn't a conflict that way. I rarely see him doing it now.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 6:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I used that yucky stuff on my daughter. It didn't work. Then I learned that it is a self-soothing mechanism for children. Taking it away can cause more problems than you want to deal with. It's an old wives tale that it will ruin their teeth, etc. My daughter is 23 and looks like she had braces and never did. It's embarrassing in public, so we tend to want them to stop. See if you can compromise that he won't do it when you are out. He will grow out of it when he needs to.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:50 AM on Jun. 4, 2011