I have a question about Coumadin blood thinner?

I was diagnosed almost 2 months ago with a deep vein blood clot in my left leg below the knee. They put me on the Coumadin and told me to be careful, and try not to get any cuts or injuries that bleed. I had asked them about my monthly visitor (period), and they said to be VERY careful and not to do to much heavy work during that time. I am trying to figure out if they meant EVERY month or just the first one after starting the medicine. I am asking on here because the doctors office isn't open yet. I do plan on calling them, I just wanted to get some other opinions before that. My husband and I worked in the yard yesterday cleaning up the leaves from last fall. Then I woke up this morning to go out and start working again, but my (friend) showed up. I am just curious if there are any other women on this medicine on here that could give me some insight. Do you think that it would be alright to get started in the yard or should I wait until 9:00 when the office is open and give a call? I normally don't ask these kind of questions on a site like this, but maybe someone else has or is going through the same thing. I would appreciate your assistance with this.

msmommy123

Asked by msmommy123 at 7:19 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Health

• I had to take Coumadin 8 years ago and you shouldn't be doing a whole lot of lifting or strenuous work while on your period. Also, you really shouldn't be outside in the sun either since your blood is really thin you can get sick from being out in the sun exposure too long. But I think calling your doctor to get the right answers is always the best bet!
    Oh, why I was on it was because I had a blood clot (pulmonary embolism) in my left lung from the birth of my son.
    nctarheelmom

Answer by nctarheelmom at 7:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My mother is on that medicine because she has a shunt in her arm (she was a breast cancer patient) but she is past menopause so I can't answer your question as far as it relates to menstruation BUT I do know that there are some very specific things to be careful about when it comes to Coumadin. I know she has to carefully watch her diet and has to be careful getting too much fish oil/omegas; she adores salad but has to limit how much she eats, etc.

I would imagine that your doc meant for you to be careful EVERY month but please call and ask to be sure. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Your blood will be very thin and you will bleed easily as long as you are on the medicine. My father was on it and had to have his blood checked every week to make sure it wasn't getting too thin or too thick. He had to be careful all the time.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:45 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Thank you for your answer. I have had to change my diet too. I miss my green vegetables alot! Like I said I do plan on calling them as soon as they open. I would just like to get started with the job and get a little done before calling them, but I guess maybe I should wait until I find out for 100% sure what they say. I would still like to hear what anyone else has to say about this.
    msmommy123

Comment by msmommy123 (original poster) at 7:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I just want to thank all of you for your help. I just spoke with my nurse and she told me that I can continue with the yard work. I just have to take it a little easier than yesterday. I also need to take alot of little breaks to sit down and rest while doing the work. I also checked on the sun exposure comment and she told me that I should be alright since my yard is pretty shaded. Thanks for mentioning that part to me nctarheelmom because I hadn't even thought of that. So, that is why I am picking you as the best answer.
    msmommy123

Comment by msmommy123 (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2011