Would you be angry at the teacher?

My dd is in Kindergarten and its been boiling hot in the high 90's. I sent my dd to school in a sundress. It was not revealing or anything, just a basic sundress. They did not have P.E. I check her folder nightly so I can plan her clothes. Days she has PE I sent appropriate clothes (Tank top and shorts, tennis shoes etc).
When I picked her up they had changed her clothes. She came home in some ugly gray gym shorts and a white Tshirt. I thought oh she must have spilled or something? I asked her where her clothes were? She said in my bookbag my teacher changed me she said what I had on was no good for PE. I said you had PE? She said no. There was a note from the teacher saying what she had on was not appropriate for PE and for me to wash and send back the clothes she sent my dd home in. I was really kinda pissed? I mean I can see if her outfit was offensive? But it was a sundress with Hawaiian print her grandma got her in Hawaii. Should I say something?

Asked by gemgem at 7:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We always kept extra clothes in the office for kids who needed them and I never called a parent before changing the child, it's just more hassel for the teachers. As for the dress, I imagine your daughter's class did some sort of physical activity that may not have been at the regular PE time or with the regular PE teacher which is why your daugher didn't think they had PE. If you would rather your daughter only wear her own clothes (which is understandable) keep a spare set in her backpack that are PE appropriate and let the teacher know they are there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:52 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I see no problem with what the teacher did. And her note is fine. You must be just having a rough day. Do not cause problems where there are none. Smile!! !(: No one was hurt.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:55 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Next time put shorts on under the dress. Maybe she was playing in a way that her undies were showing or something. When my dd wears a dress I make her wear shorts. I would try that and see if it works.

However, I would be a little upset if they changed my dd's clothes instead of calling me. I got plenty upset one day with her old school. I had left early that morning so I was not home when my hubby took her to school. For some unknown reason my then six year old did not wear underwear with her dress....or shorts. The teacher told me about it when I picker her up. She had been there all day without underwear. I was PISSED. The teacher said she did not want to bother me at work.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:28 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• One of my niece's teachers did that to me. They changed her clothes and didn't call me. I only live across the street from the school.
    msoderquist

Answer by msoderquist at 8:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Personally, I would be bothered. But, I would find out more info. She didn't have PE, so why did the teacher say she did? If she was sitting or playing in a way that showed her undies then she should have explained that to your daughter and taught her the proper way to sit or play in a dress. Or given her the shorts to wear under the dress. She should not have changed your daughter and I think asking you to wash the clothes is rude. She changed your daughter of her own accord, SHE can wash the damn clothes!
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I guess i would just ask because I would be confused as to why she had to change if she didn't have PE.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I know I was like huh? I know theres nothing to reveal in kinder haha.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 7:54 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• They even did that to a girl in the high school of my town. I live in a big city and stuff like this happens a lot here. The mom reported it to the super. But just remember that there are dress codes. Maybe they do not hand out flyers but every school has one. My son went to a catholic school where even one of the moms was told not to wear such revealing shorts when picking up her kid from school. GL. But personally if they changed my kid I would have a problem too. I would notify superintendent of schools and get an appointment asap.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 8:11 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• That does seem odd. Send her in the dress again if she wants to wear it. If she is sent home in random clothes again I would ask about the dress code.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Thanks. Well it didnt violate any dress code I have it here since I have kids ranging from 6-22 yrs old so I always keep within the dress code. I just dont think she liked her dress and she could have called me. I live 2 minutes from the school. I could have brought her clothes to wear.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 8:15 AM on Jun. 3, 2011