Birthday party

Ok so here is the deal. My dd has been invited to a birthday party for a classmate. It is to be held at a hotel. The kids will have dinner in the room and then head to the pool. After that the girls have been invited for a sleepover. I am fine with the first part of the evening. However, I do not know these parents and have never met them. Would it be in poor taste to only allow her to attend the non sleepover part? I don't know these parents and do not allow her to stay the night with people I don't know. But I also don't want her to feel left out of the fun. I had considered getting a room at the same hotel so that at least I am close by. What do you think?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 7:52 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No I think it would be fine. I would just be honest and say you arent comfortable with it since she has not or has rarely stayed at a hotel.

Answer by gemgem at 7:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Do you have time to meet the parents and maybe talk to some of the other parents that know them. Is she 5 or 8?
    I see no reason that you could only attend one part. You know your daughter and how she is going to react to not being able to attend the sleepover.

tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:58 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• She is 8. I know she would like to spend the night. She is quite outgoing. But we have had problems before with people that we trusted with her. So trusting her with anyone but a few trusted people is very hard for us. I thought about a compromise of letting her stay until about 10 or so.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:02 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I would ask the other mother if you could help chaperone and stay there too. You could get an adjoining room and the kids could go back and forth.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I think that's an excellent compromise. Better safe than sorry. You may just to have explain it to her, and she'll be disappointed, but better to err on the side of caution if you don't know them.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I think you have a great idea. Just get a room of your own. Stay at the hotel . That way she can be part of the party, and part of the slumber party. The only part shell really be missing is the sleeping part. I think you should listen to your gut. We have an instinct for a reason. I think if you cant get a room, letting her go to the pool party and supper is good enough.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I think its a great idea to get a room for yourself so you are close by. You could think of it as your little vacation too. Or asking to help chaperone might work as well.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Helping to chaparone is the best option I see here. She's at an age where she wants independence so badly and I know your concerns are for her own good, but she's not going to see it that way and be really upset about missing out. Unless she doesn't care about the sleepover part and just wants to join in the party part. Some kids are like that.
    LWhite85

Answer by LWhite85 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I would just be honest, let the parent know that its not her, its just you dont know her, you could ask if you could help out or maybe even get a room at the hotel so if anything happens or dd is not comfortable staying then you are right there.
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I do it all the time with my girls and the parents are always fine with it! Also, there have ALWAYS been other girls who do not spend the night either but only go to half the party.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 6:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2011