My one month old is extremely hard to burp! any pointers?

im a ftm, and this last week getting her to burp is impossible unless i get lucky and she burps on her own. i swear ive tried everything but she just wont burp, meaning i dont sleep much at all... help?

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 7:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son never burp, id sit there an hour after he ate.
    Every once in awhile one would come out on its own.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:58 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Have you tried sitting her up in a sitting position and patting her back? That always worked with mine. It never looked comfortable but it always worked. You can so lay them on your legs belly down and pat the back. You can use the mylican drops too and then try to burp that way.

Answer by gemgem at 7:59 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• yes.. have her sit on your lap putting her chin in your hand and pat her back, you can lay her down and rock her between your legs to sort of sift it out ... gl
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 8:01 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• For my dd to burp I always had to lay her face down across my lap and pat her back. She never burped in the classic burping position. Try just moving her around to different positions. Also I have heard that just slightly jostling them works.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:04 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• yeah ive tried the sitting position and laying her on my lap. the sitting one works occasionaly. over the shoulder basically never does. i give her those drops a few times a day. she also has collic and im wondering if its from not burping enough? ive tried everything tho and i try to burp her forever and she wont unless she just does it on her own basically
    xunlucxyx0

Comment by xunlucxyx0 (original poster) at 8:04 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Sit thelittle one up on your lap. Lean her over your left hand and rub her back up with your right hand. Cup your hand and tap lightly. If after 10 minutes she hasn't burped, does not seem uncomfortable, it should be fine. She may be just an invisible burper. Try not to worry about it just be aware.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:04 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Have you tried the colic cradle carry? Try positioning your child on her stomach and sliding your arm under her. The goal is to allow light pressure on her tummy. the base of your hand should be beneath her ribcage with her legs on either side of your elbow. Try walking in this position and possibly rocking/swaying side to side while you do so.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 8:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I'm having hard time to burp my son when he's a month old too. I tried everything, and sometime one position works and sometimes the other works. The one that works the most is after feeding I'll lay him down to change diaper when I"m done I'll hold him and walk around and he'll burp.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Maybe she is not eating enough?
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Oh, this brings me back! My son was soooo hard to burp as an infant! Sitting up worked pretty good for me, I know it looks terrible, just support her head, and sit well back on a couch not a chair, so in case she does arch her back you won't "lose" her.

What worked for me, hold her right against you, with her facing you, head turned to the side, obviously. Don't squeeze her, but just make sure she is right up against you in between your breasts, then kind of pat her back. Sometimes this worked for me when nothing else would! I would stand up, and put my one arm under my son's butt, and the other arm under his arm and pat his back gently, because he was already pressed up against me, and you could feel the gas come up when you couldn't hear it. Hard to describe, but maybe you can get the jist of it.

Good luck mama! Remember, this too shall pass!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2011