Bashed

Wow. What a crazy week! I got bashed as a parent by parents I don't even know...(Not on here). The first was at a birthday party. This lady was cutting the cake(not the mom of the birthday child) and she cut my dd a HUGE peice with a ton of icing. I asked her to please give my dd a smaller peice with not so much icing. She actually had the nerve to accuse me of being afraid I wouldn't get cake and that I should let my dd have whatever she wanted at a birthday party. Now my dd is lactose intolerant and wipes the icing off. It is easier to do if there is not gobs of icing on it. Also we had already been to one birthday party and she had already had cake and we do limit her sugar intake.

The next was because I buy my dd name brand shoes. We were at the park and my dd was running around in her light up Sketchers. And this lady said....I don't see why parents spend all that money on shoes they are just going to grow out of...they should put that money towards their college education. I kinda looked at her and said. "That's my kid. Her shoes are our business. Thanks" She then accused me of being rude.

The last time was when we had gone out to eat. My dd has been ordering for herself since she could speak. She also tends to eat the healthier adult meals and she can finish them. So my dd places her order for a chicken ceasar salad and a water. This lady told me that I should not let my dd order off the adult menu because that was what kids menus were for. Freakin REALLY!?!?! What business is it of yours what I let my kid eat? How does my kid ordering a salad have anything to do with her at her own little booth with her kids misbehaving and acting like fools with their chicken strips and fries. I don't judge what others feed their kids.. Don't judge me for letting mine eat a salad that SHE wanted.

I just really want to know what is the deal with people not minding their own business and thinking they know what goes on in my house. Any clues? Anyone ever dealt with crap like this?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 8:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I dont know but I had to laugh about the shoes. My kids have NEVER EVER worn non name brand shoes or clothes. I have had parents I dont even know comment on it too. I tell them I didnt know I was using your money to it? What difference does it make to them if I want to spend $50 on shoes? If I were you I would have said well I have money to put into a college fund and buy shoes she likes, and I am sorry you are not in the financial position to do the same. That usually shuts them up.

Answer by gemgem at 8:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I didn't even know these mom's. They were three separate moms/ladies. The way at least one of them laid into me was not a lauging matter. The mom who was actually hosting the birthday party had to tell her to cool it.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Gem- I don't buy non name brand shoes either. But the funny part about these particular shoes is that...my dd wanted them so bad she offered to pay half out of her birthday money.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Where are you going that people feel comfortable just talking smack to you.. maybe you're taking things personal or eavesdropping.. I mean really, if you don't know these people who cares! Their opinion is just that their opinion.... I like sketchers for my daughter too and they are NOT that expensive and they wear better than Walmart.. they can just deal.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 8:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You can go anywhere to hear people talk smack. Maybe you have been lucky enough not to hear it? I live in a poor community and for awhile ppl looked at my dd weird because her clothes didnt come from walmart. I just have a problem buying clothes from somewhere you buy groceries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I was actualyl quite calm when responding to them. The birthday cake lady just flipped her lid ranting and raving until the person who was actually hosting the party told her to chill out and that I made decisions for my kid.

The lady at the park I just responded like I said above. My kids shoes are our business.

The lady at the restaurant I again said how I deal with my kid is my business but thanks.

All three of these people addressed me personally. I don't really care what they think. Just want to know when people got so brazen.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:17 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Anon - I hear you on that. I have heard it in the past. Just not so boldly directed straight at me. Although the one lady with the shoes didn't realize she was my kid.

Several years ago someone commented about me having my crying child in a restaurant. They didn't direct it at me so I didn't respond. But the waitress had just spilled ice cold water all over my dd's favorite shirt and she was 3. It was a crisis to her and she was freezing.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:22 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My opinion -- with txting and social networks people have become less attached to people and say whatever they feel like saying, we are culture of rude people.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 8:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• UMM... the first cake lady seems like she was joking, the shoe lady was making a statement and you were kinda rude, and th lady at the resturaunt was plain wrong.... but you say that you dont judge what others feed their kids YET you made a snarky comment on her kids "chicken strips" I mean you are just as bad, you simply dont say it, instead you bitch about it on CM! Just saying, you are no different, just sneaky about it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• JoLee - First off....the cake lady was not joking. She literally went off on me. Like I said before the hostess of the party had to tell her to cool it. Second, How in the hell am I being rude to someone who makes a comment to ME about my kids shoes? And yes maybe the comment about the chicken strips was snarky.... But I could care less what she feeds her kids. Was just making the point that although her kid was eating chicken strips as opposed to my kids salad I did not make any comment to her.

I don't make statements about other peoples kids to people I don't know. You never know who could be around. And last I checked...this was a place to vent and ask questions...
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2011