Customer service & different answers...

I got up yesterday morning, we had no water!
I called the water company, they show I didn't pay my bill.
I looked my bank statement, that shows my payment went through the bank.
I called & the lady could just tell me that, yes, you on the diconnect list. Call back after 8.
So, at 9 I call. They say the tracking number I have for my payment doesn't show up in their system.
??.
She tells me, I have to pay $172. To have service reconnected. And it could take 24 hours.
I needed to call the back to send proff of payment - I call the back & told it could take 36 hours for them to look it up & fax it.
What the hell - they have computer networks - 24 to 36 hours.
So, luckly I had the $172, so I called and paid it.
At 11, when I went to lunch - I called to make sure this payemnt was received.
The guy tells me Ya & we found your first payment! But it could still be 24 hours. I was like NO, this is your mistake, my water needs to be on when I get home, I've never paid my bill late.

My question is.. or does this upset you?

When you call the same company twice & get two different answers.

Why didn't the first person say, oh I'm sorry. Let me do a search for you payment. Call me back or something & tell me it was found. Before just telling me, I have to pay an additional $172. Now, I'm going to agrue for them not to charge me the disconnect fees & re connect fees.
I shound not have a water bill for like three months.

Yes, we had water, when we got home this evening.

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 8:02 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• ive worked for a utilities place & the reason you got 2 different answers is b/c you probably talked to an inexperienced cust service rep (csr) the first time & a more experienced CSR the second time. also, while you've never been late, most ppl calling in w/ your complaint didnt really pay.

im sorry you got tangled up in this! make sure to call again, give them your acct # & then ask for a supervisor. if they are a good company they've got record of their mistake & you can get any late fees or reconnection fees taken off. also, if you pay w/ card again, make sure you get a confirmation number from them & tell them to put it into their records too...it'll help keep this from happening again. technology isnt fool proof & having worked that job a lot of the CSRs are fools themselves...mistakes happen more often than we'd like to think.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Always ask to talk to a supervisor—ALWAYS.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• And its not like I have a choice of water company - this company services my aera!
    We've lived here sense 2005 & I've never paid late.
    And what if, I didn't have $170? I know, families that live pay check to paycheck.
    A co-work told me, shed be out of luck without water.
    All the modern technology & they still screw stuff up.
    On top of rude customer service people..
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Document and get the fee waived.
    Is it a government water company. If so you probably do not have much to hope for. Government does not have to be accountalbe like the rest of the world. JMHO.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I would have been fit to be tied. I pay all our bills and have had the water cut off similarly. I went to my bank and got a copy of the check and print out and went there and showed them their mistake and rose hell. Luckily this is a small town, and the people in charge of the water company know my inlaws so they know if they see me coming it is either to say hello or to raise hell. I would have demanded that $172 back asap because you have other bills to pay and it was in fact their mistake.

Answer by gemgem at 8:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• That happened to us just recently when calling the IRS about our refund. We knew it would be delayed because we filed an extra form but the 1st person we talked to said that doesn't matter and it would come on time. Of course it didn't so we called back. The next time we got a woman who made sure we knew it would be delayed. I calmly asked why did they give such differing answers when I'm sure they look for information in the same computer system. She said, "I don't know, I didn't hear your conversation with him." Of course you didn't! Lady! I was just asking a question. We were already prepared for the extra wait. I was just curious why the 1st guy wasn't aware there was an extra wait.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I live five hours away from the office that does our water.
    I had to call. They have a web site, but you can't see your payments on there unless you paid on line.
    I've always called & made the payment over the phone.
    Guess, ill go back to writting out checks.
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Well, my reconds say I should have $125.00 credit they say $50.00 - I'll call them on Monday.
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2011