The Car

My daughter use to love be in the car, but the few last weeks she hates it. She 8 months old and once I put her in there she starts screaming. She is better if I'm sitting in the back with her and doesn't scream so bad or as much. But if I'm driving she just stares at me and screams, it's so sad. The second I take her out shes all better. I have no idea why she all of a sudden started doing this. I always get worried when I have to drive somewhere. I don't know if this is just a phase or what.... help!!

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD does this too... I tried toys and music and talking to her... EVERYTHING... nothing helped... so I gave up one day and gave her the little tupperware box that I keep her snacks in... and she LOVES it.... but it's her car only thing... she will play with it for the whole trip... so try something different that she isn't used to I guess??? And make sure the straps aren't digging into her.... now with these winter clothes our babies are a bit bigger than normal.
    BabyDio

Answer by BabyDio at 7:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• 8 months old and she is starting at you when you are driving? Is that legal in your state? Cause in California they have to be 1 year old AND weigh 20lbs....

Sorry, just wanted to point that out, I really have no idea what would make her scream. My 7 month old loves the car, she loves to sing to the radio, hehe.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Try planning your outings around his naptime. When it's time for him to go down for a nap, then go out. Babies are irriatable if it's naptime and they are in the grocery store.
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I was wondering the same thing as Carolyn... how is she staring at you? It's not safe to have her forward facing at her age. And not legal!

I would check the straps in her seat see if something is making her uncomfortable. But if it's not that... try singing to her and talking to her or make silly noises to distract her.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2008