My husband and I are going out of town mid August. My mom says she will babysit our 2 year old only if she's potty trained. What can we do to speed up the process?

So far we haven't rushed it as I don't believe you should. I'm [hoping] my mom wasn't too serious about refusing to babysit. But I think it'll be fun just to see if we can do it anyways.

As of now, the females in the family take her along with us when we use the bathroom. She pulls down her diaper or pullup and sits on the potty as well. We're hoping that once she feels it come out of her and into the potty, she will instantly get it. We even hand her a piece of tissue when we are grabbing some for ourselves and she wipes herself in the proper place with it. Other than letting her go diaper-less so we can rush her to the potty if she starts to do something and sitting her on potty every 30 minutes throughout the day, what should we do?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes---you can't force potty training. There is a muscle involved in holding the urine in the bladder and kids learn to hold it at different ages. Trying to potty train before they are ready won't work and might make it more stressful for the kids. I hope your Mother is not serious about that. I would NEVER expect my grandkids to be potty trained or refuse to babysit. I have babysat for my grandkids overnight,etc. at all ages ,potty trained or not.
    I hope it all works out well so you can have a nice vacation.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You can use rewards to help ( something like stickers), but kids work at their own pace, this isn't something you can just make happen.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:45 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• does she hold it overnight? You can't rush it... she'll do it when she is ready physically.. you can Train her to go during the day every hour and when she is with grandma because it's a change she can revert.. esp. if she can't truly "hold" her water as they way.. IMO - find out if grandma really means it..
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I would honestly say nothing. If you try to rush it you could have it backfire. She might have lots of accidents as soon as she gets left with grandma.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Rereading the details does not change my answer. Kids get it when they get it. It really can't be rushed. And I would do away with the diapers and pull-ups if you really want her to train. Has this been something she wanted to do already?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:02 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I would find someone else to watch my kid,,LOL! You can't rush the process, and even if she "gets" if before August, she is still likely to have accidents and such.. I am curious to know WHY she won't watch her unless she is potty trained, I mean she is her grandchild, potty trained or not. It does not seem like much more of a hassle to me to change a diaper, than to be a toilet monitor. IDK---
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Get rid of the diapers and Pull Ups. Go straight to underwear and see what happens. We offered DS 1 m&m everytime he peed in the potty. We haven't gone back since. The pooping part we still aren't great at. We even bumped up the offer to cake. He loves cake, but does not get it often.

Hopefully, your mom wasn't 100% serious. Besides to me, diapers would be easier than worrying about her having accidents.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 4:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• i really dont even know how to potty train. for his second birthday, my son got big boy underware so i put them on him and told him to potty in the toilet and he didnt have an accident til just once, 2 months later while he was at church with my sister. at 2 and 1/2, i stuck him in underware overnight and he didnt have an accident after that either.......
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 8:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• The book, Potty Training in Less than a Day, (the one written around 1973) has tons of hints. You feed the child salty snacks so she will be thirsty. This gives more opportunities for trying. It takes about 20 minutes from drink to pee, so use that to up the chances of success.

You also need to see if her bladder is up to the task as it's a developmental thing from both a physical and mental standpoint.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:14 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I didn't make the details too long so I hope everyone is taking the extra 15 seconds to read them and not just reading the main question.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2011