Would you take Zoloft while Breastfeeding?

If you knew Zoloft would be best for you and we all know breastfeeding is best for baby... would you do both or would you wean baby off breast so you could get the help you need? My baby is only a month old and I was planning on starting Zoloft on July 1st (why then? Because I recently bought an unlimited month of tanning bed sessions) and I know you're supposed to limit your sun exposure. So, should I BF for two months only and then start taking Zoloft or should I continue to BF my baby for one year *what I really would like* and start the pills anyway?

Even though, my OB and Pharmacist both say it is safe to take Zoloft while breastfeeding. My husband and I are skeptical. With all the news on Zoloft causing birth defects during pregnancy now...how do we know, in a few years there will be news on how bad it if you take it while breastfeeding. I am just so torn. I want what is best for my mental state. A healthy mom makes a happy home. But, also want best for my baby too that breastmilk offers. I know, ultimately the decision is up to me, but, I am wanting to hear from mommies who maybe are or were in this situation. Thank you for any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Health

• I would keep breastfeeding and leave off the Zoloft. I took the stuff for a while, and it really didn't help me that much and the side effects were far less than desirable. I found a wonderful counsellor who helped me work through my issues, and I am now living free from all drugs and am happy and healthy. If I were where you are today, I would look for someone just like the man I found. He was hard to find, but once I did, he helped me get to the roots of my problems and I am so very thankful that he did.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• If the benefits outweigh the risks I would take it. I am on two different antidepressants and you are correct that a healthy, mentally sound mom makes for a happy mom!! Depression is no joke!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:18 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I took Zoloft years ago, and no, I wouldn't take it while nursing... That said, I wouldn't take it at all!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I'm assuming you've been rx'd it because therapy is not an option. In my case I was pregnant with my 3rd and started taking it late in my pregnancy. Therapy was not my only option. I forget the name of them but after meeting with a therapist for a month and blood tests she determined that my levels in my body needed to be regulated before I could get back to normal me. I stayed on them for almost 2 years after having my baby. I breastfed her for just over a year and she is a health 3 year old now.
    I suggest you take them.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Well here is the thing, yes we all know that breast feeding is best, but so is a mommy who is healthy and stable, so no, I wouldn't breast feed, in this case I would take my medicine and formula feed,, I know what the doctor says but I don't think that I would risk it.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Did you know that excersise if more effective than Zoloft? Take up running or dance until July 1st and see how you feel.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:40 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I have battled depression since I was 19yrs. old & I know that it is not a joke & not fun at all . i totally agree with NannyB
    wvblj

Answer by wvblj at 9:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• lovemydog-- i had a c-section (3rd one in 3 yrs actually) so, I cannot do anything strenous. Walking is pretty much the only thing I can do for now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• NOOOO. Zoloft is horrible.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2011