Would you take Zoloft while Breastfeeding?

If you knew Zoloft would be best for you and we all know breastfeeding is best for baby... would you do both or would you wean baby off breast so you could get the help you need? My baby is only a month old and I was planning on starting Zoloft on July 1st (why then? Because I recently bought an unlimited month of tanning bed sessions) and I know you're supposed to limit your sun exposure. So, should I BF for two months only and then start taking Zoloft or should I continue to BF my baby for one year *what I really would like* and start the pills anyway?

Even though, my OB and Pharmacist both say it is safe to take Zoloft while breastfeeding. My husband and I are skeptical. With all the news on Zoloft causing birth defects during pregnancy now...how do we know, in a few years there will be news on how bad it if you take it while breastfeeding. I am just so torn. I want what is best for my mental state. A healthy mom makes a happy home. But, also want best for my baby too that breastmilk offers. I know, ultimately the decision is up to me, but, I am wanting to hear from mommies who maybe are or were in this situation. Thank you for any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I spoke in depth with my doctor and my son's doctors (which was a long list, since he was born at 26 weeks) and chose to continue BFing while taking an antidepressant. It's true that they may find some side effects in the future, but I really wanted to BF and my son's doctors agreed it was best for him also.
    quietsmilie

Answer by quietsmilie at 7:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2011