Would you take Zoloft while Breastfeeding?

If you knew Zoloft would be best for you and we all know breastfeeding is best for baby... would you do both or would you wean baby off breast so you could get the help you need? My baby is only a month old and I was planning on starting Zoloft on July 1st (why then? Because I recently bought an unlimited month of tanning bed sessions) and I know you're supposed to limit your sun exposure. So, should I BF for two months only and then start taking Zoloft or should I continue to BF my baby for one year *what I really would like* and start the pills anyway?

Even though, my OB and Pharmacist both say it is safe to take Zoloft while breastfeeding. My husband and I are skeptical. With all the news on Zoloft causing birth defects during pregnancy now...how do we know, in a few years there will be news on how bad it if you take it while breastfeeding. I am just so torn. I want what is best for my mental state. A healthy mom makes a happy home. But, also want best for my baby too that breastmilk offers. I know, ultimately the decision is up to me, but, I am wanting to hear from mommies who maybe are or were in this situation. Thank you for any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They start you on such a low dosage of Zoloft that it barely makes a dent anyway, so it is safe to continue breastfeeding while on it.I had PPD after my son's birth last year and was on it while breastfeeding for a month or so, with no side effects. The effects of anti depressants on infants developing in the womb is a very different thing. If you need it, you need it.
    I just have to mention that tanning beds increase your skin cancer risk by 50% or more, depending on your family history of cancer. It doesn't matter if you use it 10 times a day or 10 times in your life, the risk is still there. As a person who has suffered through the loss of family members to this disease, I can say that the Zoloft is a good idea whether you tan or not. The tanning is a BAD idea no matter what. Good luck Mommy!! Feel better!!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I agree 100% with alphamom26.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You know what else causes birth defects? Vitamin A. No joke, too much vitamin A can cause birth defects that are incompatible with life. Lay off the carrots, i guess lol.

The point of that was this: You cannot, as a mother, do everything perfectly. You just can't. There is no doubt, though, that breastfeeding is still better for baby, even if the milk is spiked with Zoloft than formula feeding.

If you need the Zoloft enough to take it in a month, then you probably need it now too. Don't waste time because you want a darker skin color. Cut your losses and get on the meds.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I am actually doing the tanning bed because some doctors say it helps with Fibromyalgia, which I have. Also, the little color helps with the depression (for the moment). So, that is why I am just doing it for 1 month...to see, if it helps with my pain.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I nursed two very healthy daughters while on 50mg of zoloft. Perfectly fine!
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 5:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I was told not to take it. I WAS MISINFORMED. My NP was wrong. Please, do what's best for you AND the baby. Take the pill and feed the baby. :) Good luck!
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2011