How bout them numbers?

Yes, it’s that time again, folks. Expectations are for 160,000 new jobs to be created — down from 244,000 in April — with the unemployment rate falling from 9.0% to 8.9%.

Instead we get.......

WASHINGTON — Employers hired only 54,000 new workers in May, the fewest in eight months, and the unemployment rate rose to 9.1 percent.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think most people don't realize just how bad things really are right now. Businesses in our town are closing left and right, and very few new ones are opening. There are vacant buildings everywhere, and people are staying home in droves.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:57 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• That can't be. We are in recovery, right? Or have they changed their story to match the data yet? It makes me wonder if this was either unintended or unexpected.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• We are in recovery, right

Given the current administration its more like wreckovery.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• They look pretty good to me, just an insurance policy against Dick's re election.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• LOL, grly. I <3 word play!
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I'm sitting here watching the market go down...... They just had Labor Secretary Solis on. She wanted to remind us that we have added hundreds of thousands of new jobs this year. Looks like the new catch phrase is "It will take some time".
    Are you sick of hearing that?
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Seems to me every month they come out with "unexpectedly" lower numbers. You would think after so long they wouldn't be "unexpected" anymore.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Looks like the new catch phrase is "It will take some time"

Well the whole, " it's Bush's fault" whine has been worn down. I'm not surprised, they now cry for "more time". The BO administration is really started to smell foul.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Boy, Bush was really a powerful man wasn't he?! LOL

I think things are going to get much worse before they get better. The uncertainty coming from this administration is killing the small businesses.

On a positive note, the worse things get the easier it will be to elect REGULAR people that will clean up the mess.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:59 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 3, 2011