What is the best way to discipline a 18 month old?

I am trying to find a good way to discipline my 18 month old. We have tried just saying no, smacking his hand, and time out. Any ideas?

msoderquist

Asked by msoderquist at 8:58 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I spanked mine at that age, and it worked. I had very well behaved, obedient, respectful children except for the occasional test which will always come. We could take them anywhere at any time and did, and they were a joy to be around. Now that they are grown, they are raising their children similarly and I have six well behaved grandchildren. I kept the 18-month old 12 hours yesterday with nary a problem. It's hard to do, but if you remember that your goal is to turn out respectful and obedient adults, then it's worth doing the tough love work.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:01 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I found that if ,say he keeps getting things off the shelf. Take away the wrong object , with a firm voice . Not yelling just so they can tell tbe differance in normal casual speaking and your voice when your stern. Be on there eye level . Make eye contact when your speaking directly to them. On there level , a stern voice , say "No" . Remove your stuff . While there watching you replace the item where it belongs . Still looking and speaking directly to them give them some thing belonging to them and say , normal voice . This is yours. Might even need to removethe child from the area of the attraction. Repete every time they go back to doing what you dont want doing. It take doing a few times for some to understand that your in control and the boss. My 12 month , grandson is hard headed and it took an afternoon to lose intrest in the remote. At first he thought I was playing with him .
    amn1021

Answer by amn1021 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• To me, the best way to guide constructively at this age is to connect. So being oriented toward the child's validity in any situation of conflict (whether it's aggressive behavior you need to address, or something unsafe that you need to stop, or just something you have a problem with) lets you first really get why it is happening. All behavior is an expression of an underlying need or feeling, so this orientation just means you are connecting to that reality (getting consciously oriented to it in yourself) so you can approach your child with a deep understanding of them as good, and valid. When you approach simply on the basis of stopping behavior as wrong, you ignore the child's reality (which is that some good reason & valid need led them that direction.)
    This requires more effort on the front end but it leads to peaceful relations & natural cooperation.
    Validation & empathy are my best suggestions, & reflective listening.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2011