Praise or reward?

Which do you do more of praise or rewards? Why?

mamajojo024

Asked by mamajojo024 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Praise.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Praise, I want my kids to value what they have accomplished. Dh rewards, teaching my kids that if they are entitled to a "gift" for their accomplishments. We're working on coming together on that one. So far we will agree on what deserves a "reward" together. He's getting much better at just praising.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Both. I praise them and reward them. For instance my dd plays softball. When she gets a hit and is proud we whistle, hollar and hoot and tell her GOOD JOB! If she does well in school which is her job she gets a reward just like we do when we go to work.

Answer by gemgem at 9:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Praise. First of all, it is something that will last forever. A reward will last those few minutes, like Christmas presents that are forgotten about. Children of today are taught to expect things for what they have done. In my day we did things for people to be nice. It's also teaching children a sense of entitlement if you are giving them rewards all the time. They need to learn to feel the sense of accomplishment for themselves, not what the reward is.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It depends on what it is because I have always tried to instill in my children to do things because it's the right thing to do and they shouldn't expect to be "paid"! They probably should get rewaded with certain things they do that are out of the ordinary.
    meatums

Answer by meatums at 2:36 AM on Jun. 4, 2011