How old was your child when you transitioned him/her to a toddler bed?

My DH and I bought a pretty princess bed for our 15 month old daughter, for Christmas. She is still in a crib, but she loves to climb and I'm worried she'll fall out. She can get on and off of her brother's toddler bed with ease. So, what do you think? Is it too early....or just in time?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 7:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 11 months old and in a toddler bed. She never slept in a crib, she co-slept. Now, she has stopped sleeping in bed with us. We pushed it up against the wall and then she climbs out when she wakes up and either wakes us up or plays with her toys till we wake up.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Every child is different. My niece went into a twin bed at 18 mos and her brother just made the switch at 22 mos.
    One other option (if she's climbing out of her crib) would be to put her in with the rail down so she doesn't have far to go if she does climb out. Place some pillows or cushions on the floor next to her crib for extra protection and if necessary, a gate at her door so she can't wander around the house and get hurt while you're all sleeping.
    As long as she's in a bed by age 4 you can make the switch whenever you feel she's ready.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• my daughter didn't switch until she was 2 1/2, but she was never a climber. she just loved her crib, and I loved it that I didn't have to worry about her getting out of bed 100 times before she finally went to sleep. that said, if she ever showed signs of trying to climb out, I would have switched her to a toddler bed asap.
    LondonAsMommy

Answer by LondonAsMommy at 10:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I got my son into a toddler bed at 17 months. The bed has half sides, but the very first night he rolled off the bed. He has since not , adjusted perfect!!!
    babymomx2

Answer by babymomx2 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• they were 15 months was going to wait til 18months for x-mas. but one of there legs got stuck so had to break the bed...We love it they do..they can wake up in the morning in there room door shut.baby monator on!!! play for a hour or 2 b4 knocking on the door they think that is how we hear them lol*.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• With my son, he was in a toddler bed around 18 months because I wanted him out of the crib way before Kimberlee was born. He transitioned fine, but as it got closer to when she was going to be born I put the crib back up and he wanted nothing to do with the bed, so he went back into the crib until I was ready to put Kimi in it. Kimi will probably be around 3 years old because we aren't even going to do the toddler bed, we will be putting her straight into a twin. We will probably get their beds around the same time.
    kimikylemama

Answer by kimikylemama at 12:40 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• when your child can climb/jump out of their crib, you really have no option but a toddler bed. I would use a baby gate in the doorway so she won't wander during the night and make sure her room is completly baby proof.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 12:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• my son 18 mos he was jumping out of he's baby bed now he was a race car bed and love's it
    armywife3013

Answer by armywife3013 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2008