Would you be upset if your husband spent $50+ on someone else's party?

He has gone to 3 parties in 3 months at his cousin's house and has spent at least $50 on each one for either food or liquor or both. To me, if you are going to have a party you shouldn't depend on other people to fund it for you. It's not like my husband consumes all that he's taking, and the "parties" never have more than 5 or 6 people so he's chipping in a huge portion. Am I over reacting or would you be upset?

Edit - These aren't parties to celebrate anything, it's just a group of guys hanging out.  Like I said, hubby calls it a party, I don't.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 9:39 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes, I would be upset if my husband spent that kind of money on parties. I don't think it's rude for hosts to expect someone to bring a side dish or their own liquor, but a guest shouldn't have to provide it for everyone.

Answer by missanc at 9:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I think it's pretty normal. I have three baby showers to go to this month and if my husband told me I couldn't bring my friends shower presents I'd freak out on him!
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No, I think it is really nice to offer to bring food and drink,, esp if you are a person who does not drink whatever they are providing, do you go with him? I think that it is excessive for a husband to go to 3 parties without his wife!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No, I don't go with him. It's a group of guys who play video games, drink and watch stupid movies. Hubby calls it a party, I call it a mind-numbing experience. lol Hubby isn't "offering" per say, he's being told what to bring. Last time he went he was told it was his turn to provide the alcohol. He took two bottles from our home (which is no big deal, we don't drink a lot), then spent $47 at the liquor store and when he got there he was sent after pop to mix with the liquor.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Nah that's not a big deal. My friend has a huge party every year and we all contribute for the kegs and food because we all want to have this party.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2011