"Inspired" by God

According to Christian mythos, the Bible was written by mere mortals who claimed to by "inspired" by God. However, if anyone else claims to be inspired by God, they are scoffed at and denounced.

Why is that?

Why is the Bible considered the "truth" and all other inspired works disregarded?  

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 9:59 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Some of the greatest works of fiction were "inspired" by god... I really wish people would understand what a word means before they use it. "Inspired" does not in any way mean "god's word".
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:17 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I guess it depends on how the person/people are inspired. What they choose to do with that inspiration!
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 10:19 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• For example, there werer times when charles manson though he was inspired by God. But he is just mentally ill.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 10:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• "For example, there werer times when charles manson though he was inspired by God. But he is just mentally ill. "

I don't think I even need to point out the parallel.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Which is exactly why I do not follow the bible.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I believe that the Bible is like any other holy text. I don't believe "inspired" means that God literally dictated it, or had His hand in the writing. I believe that these various texts just show us how the people who wrote them understood life, humanity, Divinity, etc. In that way, they are all inspired, as they are all working with their understanding and perception of who/what God is. I don't believe any is more or less valid than the others - I think God is big enough that He can be found in ALL of the different perceptions (speaking here a bout Muslim/Hindu/etc,and not about extremism, if you get what I mean). I think He can be related with and understood through whatever way works best for an individual, that He can meet us "where we are", if that makes sense. So I read other texts - the Gita, the Quran, the Tao, etc - along with the Bible, and pull from them all wherever I find something that resonates with me. (cont)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• As long as it isn't contradictory to what I believe the main point of the various religions is - the cultivation of our humanity, those virtues of love and compassion that make up what it means to be humane/human, our relationships with one another and with whatever we perceive the Divine to be, the perpetuation of goodness and growth, etc - I believe it is truth. I don't read or understand the Bible, or any other text, in a way that is contrary to that "point". Honestly, anyone who interprets the text/s in an exclusive, hateful, judgmental (etc) kind of way misses the point, IMO, especially if they claim to follow Jesus. He was constantly pushing the boundaries of inclusivity, constantly trying to break down the us and them mentality that existed in his time. The perpetuation of these, some say tribal, mentalities (the various "isms" that plague our society) is directly contrary to what most of the faiths teach...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Because as for as the bible goes there is only one truth. God said everything that He needed to say that is it. There is not one question that you can ask that the bible doesn't have the answer to. There is nothing new, no situations that God has not already made provision for. The hardest thing for a none believer is to let go of self. You can not have any part of you in understanding the things of God. God has to give you the wisdom. God is the living God. Only he can give you the truth about his self. You have to believe that he is God first. Once you believe in him he will reveal to you the things of him. Only God can give revelations about the things of him.

3downandonetogo

Answer by 3downandonetogo at 2:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Because the men who control the Church love their power and aren't willing to share...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Exactly ObbyDobby it may have been inspired perhaps by experiences or things they saw and perhaps related to god but that doesn't mean that what they wrote, experienced or felt inspired by was gods word at all. In fact, no one knows what god wants we can only assume
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2011