How much do you expect to spend when you are invited to someone else's house to hang out?

I'm not talking buying a gift or anything, just in food or alcohol. I asked another question about this and a lot of people think it's normal to spend $50+ to go to someone else's house to hang out. To me this is pretty high. So, I'm wondering if I'm cheap (which is possible) or if other people are spending too much. Oh, and it's not a once in a while thing, it's been a once a month thing for the last three months.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 10:04 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• To hang out? lol we dont spend any money to just hang out. If were going for dinner, or a brunch or party I usually ask what they want me to bring, is it potluck, do they want wine, and things like that.

Answer by gemgem at 10:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Is it like a BYOB and snacks thing? Why would that cost $50?! i'd say in the range of $10

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• my husband thinks it's proper to bring beer with him when going to a friend's house to hang out, AND provide beer when people come to our house to hang out. he won't spend $50+ though, not as long as i have a say anyway. we can't afford to spend that much though on frivolous activities. although i don't like the idea of bringing beer to someone else's house who invited us over as guests, he can get an 18 pack which is like $15. i always feel that if you're inviting people over you need to provide everything, guests are welcome to bring their own stuff but that doesn't have to be the entire liquor store.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Not much... we'd bring our own drinks of course. But if we are ordering food we'd just spend what our food cost. If we are eating in we'd bring a major meal item like the burgers or something. I guess can't put a dollar amount on it, but 50 bucks is WAY to much!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yes, your other question said party so I think people were assuming it was a special occasion. "Hanging out" is a whole different story. I'd say if it was a weekend $20 is a good limit.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• There are 5-6 people that will hang out together and hubby's cousin's wife will make dinner for them and the family's children (there are 4 of them). Hubby has taken food for everyone and liquor for everyone, one time he was given a grocery list and sent to the store. He eats before he goes since they have dinner around 10 pm so he's not eating a lot and he's not a big drinker. It blows my mind at how much he spends every time he goes over there.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• ~*Hanging out*~... if I am invited not a dime! I think it is rude and tacky to invite people over, to be your company, than ask them to pay to be there... and I wouldn't dare ask others to do the same if they came to my place, I should have been able to afford the extra before even inviting them over.

Is it a thing where all get together and a BYO? If so, than start declining some functions?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• 0.00 to hang out, however if you're going to go and party, I would say the expense of you OWN alcohol and maybe a dish to pass. But I would NOT go spending money for someone ELSE to be drinking my boo's.. try a BYOB!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• A grocery list??? That's rediculous! We always ask if they would like us to bring something if we are going to eat at their home. And usually means we bring chips and homemade salsa or something to like that. So I would say 15 bucks MAX. If we are just going to hang out the hubby might bring his own beer and share with his friends cuse they share back as well. Then it's like 5-8 bucks.
    MrsLLove

Answer by MrsLLove at 10:19 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• If he's not a drinker then he doesn't need to be supplying the alcohol, that's for sure! I'd just have him bring something he made from home to save you guys a lot of money. He shouldn't be given a grocery list, that is tasteless.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2011