Can't figure out how to make baby food...

I never made baby food for the first two. But with this one we're going more natural and homemade. And I want to figure this out. I bought a food processor, put the apples in and just ended up with ground apples... How do I get them smooth? Do I need to cook them first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, you need to cook them first, with my last baby boy, I didn't buy baby food at all, you'll have to cook most things. I just put them in a blender with some water.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 10:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Don't bother with applesauce,just buy it. Yeah,you have to cook them 1st

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• cook them, add some water and away you go.
    I would recommend using a blender though for the finer puree's. When he's ready for thicker, lumpier foods just mash what you've cooked with a fork. Or you can use a cheese grated for raw foods like apples, carotts and so on.
    As for the apples I would just buy applesauce. Seriously it is cheaper than making it yourself. Make sure you buy the unsweetened one's though.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• evrything has to be steamed or in the oven for a while, then cut in pieces add water and puree. go online, and goodle babyfood
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I agree with the others. Just about every thing will need steamed first and some things might need a little water added to them. You can make fruits and veggies in large batches and them freeze them in ice trays. then put the little ice cubes in a labeled zip lock bag. I also agree apple sauce may as well be bought, not the Gerber kind, just regular store brand no sugar added apple sauce.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• it's not that hard, just buy one of those baby food maker that comes with a steamer and blender all in one. Just chop the apple/carrot/sweet potato etc into a fine pieces, then let it steam then blend. You can make a lot of them all at once, or like me make it every night it's easy to make and wash.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I had no problems using a good processor. Applesauce is peel apples, core, boil and than process. It is very easy for the most part. The other Mommies have great suggestions.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Check out wholesomebabyfood.com for ideas.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Steam & mash, steam & mash. No precessors or blenders or anything like that needed, just steam & mash.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Well, part of the reason I want to make it is because that way I can control what's in it, and you can't do that with store bought stuff. But also because the store bought stuff costs more. Our store does apples 12 for $2 I can't get that kind of price if I buy it ready made...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2011