Desk job while pregnant and baby sleeping patterns..

I work in an office where I sit pretty much all day. My active time of day is between 5-8 pm, then I'm back down to relaxing.

I've read a lot of places that the reason newborns have "backward" sleeping patterns is because while we're pregnant, we 'rock' baby to sleep during our active days, and then baby is awake and moving around while we're going to sleep (because we're not moving, and therefore not 'rocking' baby).

When I had DD 3 years ago, I worked at the same job and had the same time pattern, and she started sleeping 10 p-6 a when she was only 6 weeks old. Yes, she would occasionally wake up for a feeding, but only about once a week. She was content sleeping at night.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had something similar to this happen? I am wondering if her sleeping patterns after birth are related to my lack of activity during the day time while I was pregnant.

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I don't know if it is related to sitting, but I had a desk job with similar hours to yours when I was pregnant and yes, my DD was pretty quick establishing "reasonable" sleep patterns. However, she was/is a very laid back baby. Hope it happens to you again!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• For the first week after she was born, her wake/sleep patterns kinda mirrored what they were the last couple months of my pregnancy. After that, not so much. She's 13 months & we just got her STTN about a month ago.

Oh and I'm a desk jockey too :)
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 10:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I worked a desk job while pregnant, and both of mine were very good sleepers, but not until they were a few weeks old. Neither of them wanted to sleep at night for the first week or two. My oldest was only waking up once a night by 6 weeks and sleeping through the night by 3 months. My youngest was waking up only once a night by 4 weeks and sleeping through the night at 6 weeks. They were also a little bigger than average, and I have heard size helps them sleep longer, too.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I don't know that it's related. I worked a desk job before my 1st and was sitting most of the day before my 4th, but with my other 3 I was running around after the older ones all day long. All 5 of them were sleeping at least 8 hours/night by 2 months, and 11 hours/night by 6 months.

Answer by missanc at 1:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2011