Migraine Sufferers

****Please note that I am looking from responses from women who suffer migraines, and who have needed prescription medicines... not women who suffer tension headaches- they have completely different causes.****

What do you use to control/treat them? How were you diagnosed (what root cause was discovered)? What daily/life routine changes have you made that have helped to prevent them? What symptoms do you typically suffer beforehand that alert you to the fact that a migraine is immanent?

I have suffered from chronic migraines since early teen years, and as an adult I continue to suffer from a debilitating migraine every 4-8 weeks, it does not tend to coincide with my cycle, alcohol or any other use, or stress (though it can contribute)... but have many other warning signs, including tremors, loss of appetite, as well as "classic" symptoms.

So please no bashing I am just looking for input on how others treat them or deal with them and how often you have them.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Health

• I had them a lot 2 years ago and so does my father. His were triggered by certain foods and I think mine were from stress. However, there was a time I actually had to puke in my car from one and never really found relief except for sleep and a medicine called...uhhh.. i forget. Anyway, I have heard from my dad that Botox is now a non narcotic way to reduce the number and severity of migraines, and your insurance might even cover it if you are indeed diagnosed with them. Good luck!
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I would just get that Aura though, and if you get them you know what I mean...You just know one is coming.. You start to feel a little nauseous and out of it.
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I had them starting after I had my son and the cause was my birth control. I stopped taking it and I no longer get them thank goodness!
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 10:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• sorry if i'm pointing out the obvious and you already know this, but have you googled the list of triggers? some foods you eat or drinks you consume can cause them. although, since you get them so infrequently it might not be that.

what caused me to have them was a hormonal birth control called Yasmin. my warning signs were tunnel vision, which was really scary, and "aura" which is zig-zag, bright and colorful obstructions in your vision. that was the first sign, it would last about 15 minutes and i would have the migraine pain. no pain medicine on this planet could've done anything for it. vomiting/nausea would accompany the pain. all i could do was lay helplessly in my bed, curtains drawn, in the fetal position. one night i had cluster migraines, one after the other for 6 hours straight and i got no sleep. i googled triggers and came across hormonal BC. threw it in the garbage and 2 years later i'm still migraine free.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Auras are the worst. I had a friend on Imitrex and it worked for her. I never bothered to get a prescription for mine since I rarely get them (but they take me out of commission for three days). When I know one is coming I take Excedrin and hide in the dark.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I've only had a few over the last couple of years. I've used butibal, promethazine, and some steroids to handle the left-over sinus headache it causes.

The only trigger I've noticed is lots of sugar.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 11:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2011