Need Suggstions please

My husband finally agreed(after 2 years without one) that this weekend we are gonna get a cell phone for me; we don't do the contract thing or anything of that sort but I was just wondering what brand or type of cell phone you would recommend. It doesn't have to be anything fancy just need in case of an emergency. Thanks

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Technology

• I've been very happy with my "pay as you go" phone gotten at Walmart. I can put on as little as $10 and if I don't talk much, it lasts a long time.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Tracfone if it's just for emergencies. Get the one with double minutes for life.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I have straight talk from walmart and it's okay. You can get a free phone if you order online and they aren't fancy. I have had problems when we were on the cheaper cards with the phone thinking it was out of minutes when it wasn't, but no issues like that with the unlimited cards. But, if you have a boost mobile in your area, I would check them out. Their unlimited plans start out at the same price as straight talk, but if you keep adding time when you are supposed to you can get your bill down to $35 a month for unlimited. Oh, and you can get an Android phone for much less than I paid for my crappy blackberry knockoff that isn't a smart phone with straight talk. I wish I had known about boost moblie before we paid nearly $200 for my phone.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:01 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• The minutes on my T-mobile pay as you go plan are good for at least 3 months. With them, the more you purchase, the longer they last. You'll probably be just fine-- start with a small amount and if you find you are using more, then just up the ante. With my plan, if I buy $100 worth of minutes, they are good for a year. That's less than 1 month of my husband's plan.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• we couldn't afford one till now so don't bash me I am a SAHM and we pay the bills buy groceries and put gas in the car for husband to get back and forth to work and it just hasn't been in the budget till now to get one.
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• that was what he had suggested because that is what he has on his phone is the "pay as you go" program and he likes it but his one concern for me is what if I don't use all the minutes will I lose them
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It depends on what company you go through, some companies you don't lose your minutes if you don't use them. I would try to figure what the budget is for DH's phone per month, what yours will be, and determine if you might get a better deal with a contract. Most companies now have a second like for just $10.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Oops, second LINE.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You waited 2 years for hubs to 'allow' you to have a cell phone? Okay...
    Nothing fancy no texting just for emergency only calls you should be able to get for free with a contract phone or for about $25.00 for a non-contract phone. Enjoy.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:59 AM on Jun. 3, 2011