dilating

about how long does it take to start dilating or for your water to break when the cervix has started thinning? i am 38 wks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It depends, everyone is different. Everyone effaces and dilates at different rates.

I had an appointment today (I'm 38 weeks too!), I'm 2cm and 50% effaced. You could be 50% effaced and 4cm. Or 25% effaced and 1cm. Everybody is different :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Unfortunately dilating and thinning just let you know you're body is "getting ready" but there is no countdown -- even though ALL of us ladies want it. You can walk around for weeks dilated and effaced without much action. I know that's not what you hope to hear. :( Good luck Momma, you're almost there! Get your rest.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 7:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• you can walk around effaced for weeks and dilated to 3 for weeks it depends on number of pregnancies and how your body works I was 3 and 80 for 3 weeks with the last 3 I had and my water never in 5 pregnancies broke on it's own. With my second they were popping it as he was coming out. With my fifth the ob told me it was bulging out and would probably break as I was walking so they broke it for me with my first it was leaking but they had to break it.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My cervix starting thinning around 34 weeks. I only went to 50% until I was in active labor. I was also 1 cm dilated most of the time. My water broke after 8 hours of labor. Everyone is different... this is something that you get to find out about your body as it happens.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• It's different for everyone. Some women walk around 6 cm dilated for weeks before they go into labor and some aren't effaced (cervix thinned) or dilated much at all and then they have the baby the next day. Dilation and effacement won't tell you anything about when you will go into labor. Oh, and it doesn't have anything to do with your water breaking either. My water never actually broke. My son was born in the caul, which means the amniotic sack was intact when he came out.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2008