My daughter got bit by a dog..

I live in new york and i was wondering if i could sue this lady for her dog biting my dog.. She had to miss some school and the doctor's appointment's that i have to take her to and the stuff that i have to buy for her. I was wondering in anyone know where i could find out about this or if anyone else has gone through this.. The lady has not even called or came over to ask if my daughter is alright or even offer to pay for the bills.. It's my daughter right hand and that is what she writes with and that.. Plus she is missing out on being able to go swimming with her friends because it's an open wound.. She is very upset about this.. The lady told a couple of parents that she was a nice dog and that if they could bring her to them..The dog is up to date on her shot.. There is a report with the health department.. The dog is being quaritned at her house.. The dog is a border collie mix. This is the first insident that the dog has very had.. My daughter was at her father's house..

AJMcGuire

Asked by AJMcGuire at 11:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• First step---file a report with the animal control office. Second---contact the offending party and see if you can settle out of court---if not by all means you have every right to go after her in court.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:13 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• What was goin on? Where was your daughter? You can't just slap a law suit on someone without good reason. The best thing to do would be contact a personal injury lawyer. They can decipher if there is anything they can do or not.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Did you file a report? What kind of dog was it? I think you should call her on the phone, and ask her how she would like to handle the doctor's bill? I would call Judge Judy,, LOL! If she refuses to pay you can tell her that you are going to file a report with animal control, and will be filing suit against her.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Need more details. It really depends on the situation.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• i agree you need to contact a lawyer and something need sto be done about that dog you dont want it happening to someone else
    lillymom828

Answer by lillymom828 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• dont you have to report dog bites to the authoritys in New York? I know you have to in Florida....I used to work at a walkin clinic..my first concern would be whether the dog was current on vaccinations and had any previous attacks on file, because that would show negligence on the owners part......find out that info and talk with your lawyer.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 12:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2011