How can I potty train my 1 year old son

I've been trying to potty train him, and i have a 1 week old baby as well. I haven't had any success yet.

ProudMommy10459

Asked by ProudMommy10459 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's 1......

Don't push it, seriously...you'll wish you hadn't! Most kids aren't ready for it til they're around 3. There are some exceptions, but definately don't expect your son to be one of them. Boys generally take longer than girls to train.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My daughter is 18 months and fully potty trained and has been for a few months now. I've heard boys are harder than girls though. For us it helped that we taught her some sign language so when she would need to go she would just sign. That really helps when they can't really talk much yet. We also keep her potty out in the living room so if she needs to go then she can. We started getting her familiar with her potty when she was around 10-11 months old, which I think helped. I don't think 1 is too early to start the process, but it might take a little bit of time. Good luck!
    Sunshine519

Answer by Sunshine519 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Dont use pull ups!!!!!! Waste of money they look almost like diapers they feel like diapers. So why would it seem right to go in them? I heard boys are harder than girls but My daughter was potty trained fully in 3 days, I went straight for the big girl undies, I told her that when she had to potty to tell me first and of course she had many accidents but when she went pee I would say oh no and run her to the toilet and say we need to try to go here not in our pants. And poop well she just happend to go on the toliet the first day and I can always tell when she needs to go so I'd run her in, although I didnt do this at one I waited till the day she turned 2, she now knows the feeling when she needs to go and rarely even has night time accidents
    Shevelle

Answer by Shevelle at 9:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2008