I need help with my daughter.

My son that is 3 is autistic and I think my daughter who is 7 is showing sighns of Aspergers syndrome. The school just tested her and most of the testing showed that there were a lot of issues. I brougt the results to her PCP but she just said to follow up with the same doctor that diagnosed our son and that was all the advice she could give us. She has a lot of sensory issues for ex. she will throw a fit if her socks aren't just right and I don't mean a temper tantrum, I mean a full our anxiety panic attack. Or if does something out of order in the morning she gets confused and will just walk away frustrated. When it comes to homework something that should take only 20 min. has taken 2 hours because she gets so upset if she makes a mistake and has to erase something. She is petrified of everything, it has takes us 2 years to get her to sit on her bike that we bought for her 5th birthday.

I am just at a loss, I don't want to get mad at her because I know that there is something more going on and I just don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• *hugs mommy* I wish I had more than that but that's what I am sending you!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Follow the same course that you do for your son. Get her in for a proper diagnosis. Prepare her for change, and make things as routine as possible. Hang in there.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yes, get her into the dr you son is seeing and get her on track so things are easier for all of you.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 12:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You definitely need to get her into a specialist who deals with these problems and can help you learn ways to help her cope with her anxieties. Her level of autism could be totally different from your son's and manifest itself with different symptoms and complications, but I am sure there are techniques you can use to help her handle things better, and maybe even anti-anxiety medications that would help her get thru her daily routine better. Good luck, Mama.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Did she display these signs before your son's birth? I'm sure he's received an incredible amount of attention because of his problems. Are you sure your daughter hasn't just "adopted" these symptoms for attention?
    InquiringMind

Answer by InquiringMind at 12:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• No I am postive that this is not an attention thing. There are a lot of OT issues that have show me otherwise. She did have some very mild sensory issues that have just gotten worse over the last year or so.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2011