How old was your child when you knew he/she would be right or left-handed?

I think my son is going to be left-handed. He is 15 months and he always holds things in his left hand. He also uses hi left hand to eat with.

How do you know?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he eats with his left hand, he probably is. I'm left handed. It runs in the family. Are you or your husband left handed?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My daughter is 21 months and will eat with h left, and color with her left, but uses her right when picking things up, and carring things... I'm not sure which she will stick with. Ds was a righty from the time he could hold things....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:31 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• both my girls started using the same hand they write with today that they wrote with at like 12 months old (or should I say scribbled with lol). My youngest is 3 years and she has used the same hand since 12 months and that is right handed. My oldest has used the same hand since 12 month also and that is left handed although she does everything I mean EVERYTHING with her right hand the only thing she doesn't do with her right hand is write she writes with her left hand.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I don't remember how old he was butI knew by which hand he used silverware with the most. But my distant cousin had a hard time using her utinsils and we found ut it was bc she was trying to use her right hand like everyone else and she was left handed.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 11:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My youngest son didn't decide what hand he was going to use until he was ending kindergarten and he was encouraged by his teacher to use both hands for as much as possible.....she was great. He is right handed. The rest of my children were using their dominant hand from the start. I have 3 righty and 1 lefty.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:39 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My youngest never used any hand but his right. My oldest , however, used his left hand mostly until he was 3 and then all the sudden he switched to his right. 2 years later He was very ambidexterous. at 6 he would do lots of things left handed but wrote right handed and ate right handed. Just let them do it on their own. put pencils or crayong in the middle not to one side or the other. The will choose naturally. My husband is a lefty. For years he would be punished for using it and he was forced to use his right hand. Thank heavens they don't do that anymore.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Then I would say he most definitely is!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I knew from very early on that my oldest was left handed, even when he was a toddler.
    My youngest is going to be 6 later this month and I still can't figure out which is his dominant hand, or even if one will ever be dominant over the other. He even writes with both still.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My 2nd son was lefthanded when he was little, but when he got to school he saw everyone using their right hand so he did too. Now he's 11 and ambidextrous.

Answer by missanc at 1:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Not until they were about 3 - up til they they used both fairly frequently, it was between 2-3 that they started using one more than the other.
    Anonymous