WWYD: Move to swing shift and make 3$/hr more or stay on day shift at 3$/hr less?

I know I don't want to do swing shift, but I feel like I am cheating my family if don't take a pay increase.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• Write out the pros and cons-- what impact would it have on your childcare arrangements? Sleep schedule? Time with the kids? Commuting? It might not be as bad as you think, but then again, it might not be worth it at all.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I would say depending on what your area calls swing shift. My swings were rotating days, afternoons and nights, which actually worked out better because it gave time to do things during each part of the day that I would otherwise be missing if I worked a permanent shift. If it's afternoons, then I think I would say not to do it. By the time your kids got home you'd either be leaving or already gone. You'd be cheating them more out of your time than out of money. Do you really need the raise or can you live without it?
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• whenI learned how to work night shift by another coworker and my boss anoone ant to learn nights something to hink about.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 11:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• let me try that again. When I learned night shift duties by another coworker and my boss found out I never got to work a day shift again bc noone would learn night shift. Something to think about.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 11:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• i would stay on day shift... no questions asked!!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 1:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• When you think on a weekly level when you take out taxes and so forth you aren't going to take home more than $100 a week if you work 40 hours. Are there other costs that are going to chisel down these extra earnings more like daycare? How is this $100 going to improve you on a very weekly basis? Will you be able to go out to eat once a week now or will you finally be able to get through the grocery line without fear of running out of money? As everyone says you need to really weigh out the pros and the cons of time spent with family vs money to spend on family and is the money worth the sacrifice?
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I would never work a swing shift.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 9:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I dont know I guess what works best for you and your family. You are really the only one that knows if you need the money or want to work different shifts.
    mammaangelof4

Answer by mammaangelof4 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Swing shift at my job means alternating weekly 1st, 3rd and then 2nd shift. My son is not in school yet. It wouldn't be very likely that I would be able to get permanent day shift again in the future, so there would be no turning back. I have been managing at the pay rate I am at for 8 years, but we would also like to buy a house soon.
    Shanna84

Comment by Shanna84 (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2011