Swollen groin in 3 year old boy

I'm not sure what it is. I noticed it last night. He is potty training and has been doing amazing so I haven't had to really pay much attention to his "soldier" except at bath time.... Well, anyway, I was helping him put his pull up on, and I noticed he had a red ring around his penis. After looking a little more, I noticed his groin area was swollen and looked like the base of his penis was ( not sure how exactly to describe this) inside... Not his entire oenis, just the base. So I called dh to look at it, and we both agreed it looks swollen. We also agreed that, that is probably why he has a slight rash at the base. I've tried googling it, but I've come up empty handed. Our doctors office is closed u til monday because of re idling, but our ped. Is on call at the hospital. Any ideas on what it could be??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I'm not a medical professional, but do you by any chance use Snuggle fabric softener? I don't know why it is, but I've heard more complaints about men and boys being swollen just as you describe after they start using that stuff.

don't ask me why that's always the affected area, but that seems to often be the case!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No, we use gain. And it's just recently became swollen and the only thing we changed was we went from huggie diapers to huggie pull ups to target pull ups and last night when we saw he was swollen we went to the stor and got huggie pull ups. He has always had sensitive skin, he has eczema, is crazy allergic to mesquite bites... The only helpful info I got from googling was hernia. But how on earth would a 3 yr old get a hernia?!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Hernia is more common than you may realize in little ones. I would call the hospital and ask for the dial a nurse number.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You mentioned allergies. Has he tried anything new as far as food?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• That happened to my four year old, all i did was change the laundry detergent from the regular one i always got, and sure enough he had a reastion to something in it.
    allysmom3

Answer by allysmom3 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2011