Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i put a little bleach in my dishwasher to help clean the dishes.

will this be ok or will we get sick from this
?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Home & Garden

Answers (8)
  • It's fine. Restaraunts rinse dishes in bleach water all the time.
    pinkink

    Answer by pinkink at 8:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • you will be fine I do it sometimes, but really you don't have to because most dish-washing soap already has it in it, just as long as you use a little, the dish washer rinses it off and steams it dry.
    workenmom

    Answer by workenmom at 8:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • I have used a capful of Clorox bleach in my dishwater to disinfect as well as thoroughly clean my dishes for years now. I think we catch fewer colds and flus because of this. I use only ORIGINAL Clorox,because it has the word DISINFECTS on the label. The other brands don't and can't use the word if the product does not perform this function.
    Aprilmorgans

    Answer by Aprilmorgans at 8:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • Bleach is fine in dishwater, I've done it for years. As a matter of fact, I put 1/2 cup of bleach in my automatic dishwasher along with the dishwasher detergent at the start of the wash cycle.
    Macysheryl

    Answer by Macysheryl at 8:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • I thought I'd heard not to do this because of gasket damage, so I googled it and got this:

    "CLOROX (TM reg) DOES NOT RECOMMEND the use of any liquid bleach product in a DISHWASHER. This is per a detailed discussion with a tech support lady at their 800 number [1-800-292-2200].

    She explained that unlike clothes washing machines, diswashers do NOT have rubber and plastic seals and parts which would be resistant to the bleach. Therefore, the bleach will attack, and over time, damage and eventually destroy those seals, resulting in water leakage, and expensive replacement. "
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_put_bleach_in_a_dishwasher
    Bmat

    Answer by Bmat at 8:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • Create a Safe and Healthy Home by Dr. Joyce M. Woods
    Begin by thinking of your home as a toxic waste dump. The average home today contains 62 toxic chemicals.Less than 2% of synthetic chemicals have been tested for toxicity, mutagenic and carcinogenic effects, or birth defects. The majority of chemicals have never been tested for long-term effects. There has been a call from the U.S./ Canadian Commission to ban bleach in North America. Bleach is being linked to the rising rates of breast cancer in women, reproductive problems in men and learning and behavioral problems in children. About the Author-- Dr. Joyce Woods holds Bachelors of Nursing Masters of Education degrees, and has completed her doctoral degree in the area of Indoor Air Pollution, and ...it's effect on your health. There are alternatives to these products. And I have a few videos and sites I would love to share with any of you. Please message me anytime
    PcolaC

    Answer by PcolaC at 10:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • I would switch to vinegar. It's safer.
    nwdeserangel

    Answer by nwdeserangel at 3:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

  • Bleach is the only thing that will kill the staff infection bacteria. The doctor has told my niece, whose toddler just got infected with staff, to wash clean hard surfaces and dishes with clorox and water ...not clorox wipes because they don't have bleach.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN