Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Child support question

My husband made a mistake, and he is 1 1/2 years old now. They just did Child support in court and that judge ordered him to pay 720 dollars. My husband is in the army and the only one that works. We have 3 kids. We can't afford this and I am not about to start working so he can pay child support. This is to much.Is there any way I can find out if this is correct? Are there online resources I can look up. I asked my husband to go somewhere and find out if that can happen this way . The first time my hubby went to court with the mom, but 2. time he couldn't (we live several states apart now) and the  mom went there by herself. Even though she claims she did tell him it's to much and blah blah , I don't trust her. And my husband don't do anything. He says He spoke to Legal before the court dates and they said they can't do anything. My friend tells me it's to much , it should be way less, but I can't do anything. I want to have a proof to present to my husband, otherwise he just don't listen to me. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Answer Question

Asked by Mamivon3 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 6 (108 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • It's sad that you call a child a mistake. There are often child support calculators online. Google one for your state or the state the case is in.

    Answer by MeandMyBabes at 12:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • I think it's awful you would call a child a "mistake"
    You can google child support calculator and your state, but if the Judge ordered it, then that's what the child support is. He can appeal it, or file to have it lowered but if that's the amount ordered, then that's the amount he has to pay.

    Answer by missanc at 12:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • I hope she means the mom is the mistake not the child... otherwise WTH ...
    Legal will NOT help him in custody battles or child support he has to get a lawyer...
    Aside, yes Google the state and child support there should be a calculator. It does sound high but I don't know your husband's rank. Secondly.. if it was 1.5 yrs ago.. how is it you have 3 children togther.. maybe you could look at you getting off your butt and getting a job to help support them since his mistake is LEGALLY required to be paid and he will be GARNISHED if you want to deny the payments. plain and simple and a court will not go below the amt unless there is sufficient proof why, like he pays all travel, visitation amts. etc. Judging by your comments you probably don't want visitation so that will increase your cost... I would say good luck but I think what I will say is please have some compassion for a child that did NOT ask to be born.

    Answer by Camilletnt at 12:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • Well, sorry. I changed it. But it's way to much .

    Comment by Mamivon3 (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • He does have visitation , and his son was just here. And yes I mean the mom with major mistake and I know it's not his faul. We are married for almost 11 years now. Thats how we got 3 kids.

    Comment by Mamivon3 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • How horrible to refer to an innocent child who didn't ask to be part of your husband's infidelity a "mistake". Your anger is misdirected.

    There are minimums for child support in each state. It's not a "pay what you can afford" scenario. You can check an online support calculator but you'll need to factor in any income the mother receives and any arrearages your husband has for support. Also, courts don't just arbitrarily come up with a number for support. It's a formula that is not up for negotiation. The good news is that if you DO have to go to work to afford his child support, they do not include your income when factoring what he pays.


    Answer by MegMurry at 12:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • Ok i get. I changed it and I am sorry. I am having a freaking hard time here with everything and more. I have depression and trying hard to get out of this hellhole. My husband is about the deploy for 12 month and I hardly know anyone here. I am just trying to make things work here and trying to understand the system and stuff.

    Comment by Mamivon3 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • well then I guess the answer is if you forgave him for his misgivings then you have to accept this outcome of his lack of integrity. Work with a lawyer, get an answer on the number -- my guess is you are paying a base line in addition to the back payment for 1.5 yrs.. And I still stand by putting it in your head that you have to support your 3 children so getting a job might be the answer.. thought about at home day care, very popular for SAHMs on base.

    Answer by Camilletnt at 12:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • divorce him & collect your payments for your 3 kids...

    Answer by mrsary at 1:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • I am going to ignore the "mistake" comment in the first part of the post.....
    My ex, who is in the miltary and only an E3, pays $588 a month for 2 children plus another $117.60 for back pay. I am not sure where this case is held at or what rank your husband is but the judge will base it off his pay, if he gets base housing/food allowance but the judge will not base it off of any bonuses (that is not taxable and so the other mother has no rights to it). Also, the judge will take the mother's pay into the equation as well. I don't work but the court bases my "pay" as minimum wage, about $18,000 a year.
    I know you are in "Hell" but please put your anger towards your husband as he is the one who had the affair, it sounds like, and put your and your 3 children in financial hell and not take it out on a poor child who is going to have to live the fact that his "father" is scum.

    Answer by MyGirlParadise at 1:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.