What kind of summer activities for my 15 years old boy

My son is 15 years old and he just start summer vacation so, I don't know what I do for him .He is always on the computer or playing video games .
I need your advice for him and what can he do . but I want to let you know that I don't have that much money, my budget is limited .

hsmmy5

Asked by hsmmy5 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• It's very difficult to plan summer activities for teenagers. What are his interests, besides video games?
    Anonymous

• That is a hard one given his age. Bike riding? Build something? Have him help find a project that he would like & you guys could plan to build it & pick away at the project here & there.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Weight lifting, you can have him join a gym for that it doesnt cost much, or buy the equipment used. My son bought his own from craigslist for $15. Swimming, look into local swim teams they usually also arent much. Baseball also usually has fall leagues that start just after summer leagues end which really is in the summer not fall. Boys club usually has activities for boys to do. Start a lawn service and earn extra money that way. Karate classes. Call the recreation center and see what they have lined up for summer, nothing there usually costs for then a few bucks.

Answer by gemgem at 1:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I think a job mowing or babysitting or teaching kids about the computer might be a good place, what about baseball or soccer? I would think camp of somesort might come into play as well.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Have you checked with your local Parks and Rec Department? They have rock climbing classes, sailing classes, etc. that are fun for teens, and he might meet some new people too. They generally have scholarships to help with the cost, but this late they may be out of money.

Answer by missanc at 1:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• He's old enough to get a job - especially if you have a tight budget anyway, he can start buying some of his own things too if he gets a job.
    Anonymous

• Sign him up for a volunteer program...they love teenagers and it looks good for colleges. They look at volunteer history.
    Ask him if he would like to learn Tae Kwon Do or something like that. I did with my daughter. She loved it and made her feel more confident. It's an awkward age for sure! Whew!
    Also, he is old enough to have a summer job with your consent (maybe without in some states, IDK). All kids like MONEY!
    Please don't let him sit there 24/7 playing mindless video games(even though they want to).....I have a stepson who is RUINED from exactly that. He can hardly FUNCTION in society from being closed up in his bedroom for the last 5 years constantly gaming. It's not healthy to do only that.
    We took him camping, fishing, 4-wheeling too. Anything to get him out and about.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Get him into volunteering---great way to keep busy and make friends!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• He can volunteer, take a Red Cross babysitting class and watch children

Answer by rkoloms at 7:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Most grocery stores will hire 15 year olds. Volunteering is also a great way to keep them occupied. Maybe at a church, a vacation bible school type of program . Local Recreation Departments may need a CIT (Counselor in Training) no pay, but he will be outside doing something productive and staying out of trouble.
    Momof315126

Answer by Momof315126 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2011