Bow-legged 15 month old??

Dd has been walking well for over 5 months. Her legs are extremely bowed still (45-60 degrees pointed in at all times). Does this doing average to you? I'm waiting on the drs office for a call back, just thought I'd ask if your children have the same thing going on. Thanks.

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 12:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That would be something decided on a case by case basis and can't really be answered in generalities. I would say you are right to be concerned and are smart to call the doctor. The doctor may order some imaging during the next check up.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 12:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• She has an appointment on Monday. He will help us decide on if she needs to go into an orthopedic specialist or if she is developing normally. Hope all is well but I am afraid that she is not.
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I think it's normal. They straighten out as they grow. My kids were like that too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Bow-legged (knees have lots of room between them) or knock-kneed (knees hit/rub)? Asking because you said they point in? Also not understanding 45-60 degrees - that's an acute angle, legs can't go that way. Anyway, if she's knock-kneed, our chiro was telling me a while back it's normal for all kids to be kk at a young age, that most kids grow out of it. My DD will be 6 next week and she's kk, but the chiro showed me that if we'd put inserts in her shoes, it would help with a good amount of it (her ankles turn inward too). If she's actually bow-legged, that's also normal - once she's potty trained it'll go away ;).
    Anonymous

• Her toes point in at a very sharp angle. I guess "pigeon toed" is a more accurate term for her feet. Her knees are very far apart.
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• That makes a little more sense, helps a little more ;). Some can be normal, and she's still young enough it can correct itself. But of course if it's severe enough she'll need intervention. One help I've heard of for when a child is older is to put their shoes on the wrong feet - helps their feet un-pigeon. But I wouldn't suggest that at her age. Has her doc expressed any concern, or suggested seeing a pediatric orthopedist?
    Anonymous

• I'm brining her in on Monday just to have him take a look at it. It seems like the inward facing toes has started to develop in the last few months. I am worried and going to have it checked out- probably nothing- but I want him to take a look at it just to ease my mind...
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yes, have the doctor check out her legs and hips and watch her run. My little guy was SO BOWLEGGED, i think even at 18 months, and had one foot turn inward. He looked so goofy, but everything straightened out on its own before he was 2. The great thing is, if it is a concern, it is something they can fix in her early years most likely. Good shoes won't hurt either!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 11:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My niece was like that and my brother was afraid. However, the Dr told him it'll go away and eventually it tid...my princess's leg are perfectu straight.
    xnegritalindax

Answer by xnegritalindax at 8:20 AM on Jun. 4, 2011