Whats a real way to lose weight?

Everything I read says to drop 500-1000 calories a day but I barely eat that much. I want to drop 30-60lbs by by wedding Aug 2012, so I have time to do it right, no crash diets. any advice?

Collegemommy910

Asked by Collegemommy910 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• First, if you leat less than 1000 calories a day your body is going into starvation mode, and it's burning as little as possible because it thinks it's not going to get enough to continue.
    Up your calories, eat FRESH. Don't buy food in a box. The less un fucked around with your food is, the easier time your body will have turning it into energy. Take a B-complex, which are essential for your body to do the work of turning calories into energy.

Drink more water. Something I do to make it a little more interesting is to melt ice over fruit in the fridge overnight, than add a little agave nectar.

Start slow with exercise, and do something fun. Get some friends together and play a game ( I love ultimate frisbee) or take the kids for a long walk.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Lifestyle change.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Exercise, and watching what you eat is the only way. If you don't eat enough to cut 500-1000 cals a day, maybe your metabolism is "stalled" so to speak. I know I lost 73 pounds a couple of years ago by exercising and following a strict diet. But I think it was the tricks that helped me stick to it. LOTS of water, alllllllll day long. And about 6 meals a day (all portion appropriate), breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, very light snack. I stuck to my guns about eating the same time (basically) everyday, and logged EVERYTHING, I think my DH thought I was becoming a bit OCD over it all! LOL Good luck mama!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I have heard it said...eat less and move more. That is as complicated diet as I can handle.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• The first thing you should do is calculate your BMR- this is the number of cals your body needs to function and be inactive- think digestion, blood flow, organ function. Once you know this number you can figure out how many you need to maintain and then lose weight.
    You CANNOT eat less than 1200 and most people need a lot more than that for basic functions. I calculate BMRs for CM members constantly and 90% of them need at least 1700 cals per day to function normally.
    Eat cleanly, drink water, MOVE! One pound of fat contains 3500 calories so you have to burn that many cals per week to lose 1 lb of fat.
    PM me if you want more help. I am a fitness coach and lost 57 lbs and hit my goal weight almost a year ago.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Like Claire I'm a fitness coach as well. Have her calculate your BMR or go to: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    to calculate it. The BMR is the number of calories you burn in a day doing nothing. Once you have that number that link will show you how to figure your daily needs for maintaining, then subtract 500 from that for your calorie needs to lose weight. Claire is right that in many cases to lose and have proper nutrition for your body you need to eat MORE than what you are eating. When you know what you need to eat, eat within that range with healthy clean options. Eating Clean by Tosca Reno is a wonderful book.

Then get busy and workout. My before and after avatar pick is me currently on Insanity. I'm down 12 pounds total so far and i've lost 27 inches.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Have you added your calories up? It's hard to eat 500 to 1000 calories a day (or less than that!) I'm betting you actually eat a lot more than that. It is for the most part calories in calories out. You want to make sure you get a good balance though. Good fats and good carbs.

You should never go below 1200 calories a day, and like the PP said, chances are you'll need more than that. Especially starting out.
    And do start exercising. Just don't over do it. You want something that you can keep dong day after day. Not something that you do once, and it wipes you out for a week.

Good luck.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Slim Fast new program, the bars are really good one of the snack bars tastes like a butterfinger, and I have lost 16 lbs to date, and the nice thing, the diet says to eat a 500 calorie dinner, but I eat whatever the family is having for dinner which is sometimes more than 500 calories, there is not much variety in the slim fast brand, so I mix in the special-k meal and snack bars, and the Atkins meal and snack bars as well, so I am not eating the same thing every day! Good luck.
    FLBMommy

Answer by FLBMommy at 4:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• This is what worked for me.
    First, get your mental state in order. ALl negativity has to go. This may include the people you are around. If you are surrounded with unsupportive people who constantly sabotage your weight loss efforts, do away with them. Surround yourself with people with the same fitness goals as you. A jogging partner, workout buddy, etc.

Start eating clean. This alone, without exercise is a weightloss do! This means nothing processed, only whole fresh natural foods.
    Starting off, water needs to be your only source of hydration. Do away with sugary drinks and flavored waters. YOu will also get water in fruits and veggies (which need to be eaten in their natural form.)

At least 30 minutes of cardio 5x a week and 3 days of weight training program.
    A lot of people say they can't lose weight and come to find out, they are not exercising regularly and not eating right. Not saying this is you, just my observatio
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• YOu have to give more details on your diet/activity level. YOu can eat 500 cals a day in cookies. You will stick pack on pounds from sugar and sodium in junk foods. Remember to keep a food diary. Look at the nutrition labels, and remember to check how much is n that serving. If you are not sweating daily through exercise and you are not out of breath, you are not doing enough to make a difference in your weight.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2011