Why is finding a teaching job getting so hard!?! ~VENT~ longish...

I graduated from College in December and have been applying for jobs as much as possible but never hear anything good, bad or otherwise from these people!! It's F**king annoying me! I have had exactly one interview and have not heard anything from them but saw them posting again for the very same position I applied for...I'm sick of working at the job I work, it's not hard or anything I'm just tired of it, it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life, especially not for $8.50 an hour...not worth it, it's barely covering the bills! UGH!! sorry thanks for reading!

MommyYeoman

Asked by MommyYeoman at 1:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• I know you don't want to hear this, but hang in there. It will happen.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Have you thought about subbing? I have my teaching cert and used to sub as a part time job (on the days my ex was off work), the high school where I subbed most often would call me first for positions (long term temp and permanent) that opened up since they knew me. Since most areas are cutting back on teachers, getting your foot in the door and getting to know people would definitely help. In my experience, subs aren't in high demand at the beginning of the year but by Oct/Nov, I could have worked at least 4 days/week. (And then you could still work at a min wage job at night if you needed a steady paycheck)

Answer by missanc at 1:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yeah I had applied for the spring semester to sub in my local district and only got called like 2 times... :( I'm pregnant and due in Jan. I would like to have a job before I start showing too much b/c nobody wants to higher a pregnant person...ugh!
    MommyYeoman

Comment by MommyYeoman (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• what grade do you want to teach? I think the jobs are there- they are just in the specialties- like speech.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 1:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Last year, our district laid off 60 teachers. This year they are not laying off but they aren't hiring either. Luckily, as a sub, I haven't been affected yet. As far as the job still being listed still, what they are probably doing is doing the interviews and when the school year starts and they see that they need an extra classroom/teacher, then they will hire someone. Until they get those finally numbers in, they can't really afford to hire anyone. Don't forget to apply for parapro jobs as well. 90% of our parapro's have graduated with their BS in Education in the last 2 years.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It depends where you live. I hope you aren't in Texas-- they are laying off teachers to make up for the budget shortfall. In my school district, they are laying off all of the 1st year teachers so they and all the hundreds who are graduating from the big university here are going to be competing for jobs with all the more experienced ones. I don't think anyone is going to be hiring many next year. The private schools are cutting back too because of dropped enrollments. I hope it gets better for you wherever you are!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's too bad you have that stress of trying to find a job while you're pregnant. I live in California and unfortunately, many teachers have been laid off over the past year. I think there is a hiring freeze here as well. Another thing is that the jobs that are hiring probably want people with experience. My Friend graduated from school last June to become an RN and it took her an entire year to find a job. She was waitressing in the meantime. I think your best bet may be to sub like another Mom suggested. Now have you ever thought about working from home? I work from home online and I love it! Feel free to message me if you're interested.
    Best Wishes!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Sounds like you will need to keep on subbing for awhile ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 9:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• The problem with subbing is I'm not getting any calls to do it! and now that the school year is over that doesn't do me any good either! I'm just frustrated with the whole searching process and rejection letters!
    jmpj8107 I do not live in Texas for that reason, my whole family (and my husband's as well) live there but we won't move there b/c there is NOTHING there for work.
    I have my certifcation in Elem. Ed. with endorsments in early childhood and reading. I'll get by it's just I'm stressed out and we all know that is bad when you're preggers! Thanks ladies for all the feedback & support :)
    MommyYeoman

Comment by MommyYeoman (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• The Chicago Public Schools only hired new teacher from Teach for America, this past school year.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2011