Does a SM have any legal rights when it comes to SK?

I have lived with my SD since she was 8 months old. She calls me mom. Her BM is in jail. BM got out last month and saw SD for the first time in over a year. BM was very upset that SD calls me mom. I have always told SD that she is very lucky...She has 2 moms. Well BM is not happy with that. She is now back in jail and I really don't know what to tell SD. She is only 31/2.

cathiemc

Asked by cathiemc at 8:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in About CafeMom

• No you have no legal rights unless BM gives up rights and you adopt. But if she's in jail , don't worry about her, she can't do a darn thing about the fact that your daughter calls you mom. You are her mom. Tell BM to get over it, if she wanted a stable part of her daughter's life she should have behaved!!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 8:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Talk to a lawyer - that would be the best thing I could suggest. A lot of times for things like child custody issues you can find them that will work on a slide scale, so you pay based on what you can afford. You can also consider contacting Child Protective Offices and asking them about it - you might be able to get some sort of legal guardianship over her (since the bm is in jail and she isn't able to take care of her).

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2008