How can i get my 7 month old to sleep at night instead of during the day ?

Its hard for me to keep him up during the day so he sleep at night because thats my chance to sleep 2 ! So i dont know if its something i just have to wait out and hope he changes his naughty sleep schedule or what !?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm having troubles with my 8mo old trying to sleep trough the night too. He has a 1to 2 hour morning nap, then a half hour nap in the afternoon. He goes to sleep at 9.30, but wakes up every 2 hours. I have to nurse him back to sleep. the problem is that he has bad sleeping habits, because I used to sleep with him and nurse him to sleep every time. Now his internal clock is stuck and wakes up at the same hours every night, and I have to nurse him, even though he really doesnt need food at night ( because he's having enough during the day).
    there is a solution, but its a hard one. I'm desperate so i started to use it:
    1) install a feeding routine, every day have meals at the same time, dont feed him on demand. he should have a 4 hours schedule ( 4 hours between the start of a feeding, to the sart of the next one
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 5:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I always woke mine up at least every 3 hours during the day - change his diaper, take him outside, go for a walk or a stroll through the mall, etc. Put him a room with bright lights or next to window.

Answer by missanc at 1:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Babies get their days and nights mixed,just wait it out and try to adjust your sleep with his. The mom above had some good ideas but,they don't work.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Remember that it's not "naughty." He's programmed to sleep when he needs sleep, that's all.

Keep things bright and active during the day, dark at night. His circadian rhythm isn't settled yet and won't be for a while... and it has no consideration for you, unfortunately! So sleep when you CAN... use his nap time to catch some z's yourself. Or dump one of the naps and see if that helps at night.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• 2) a bedtime routine. every night in bed a the same time, after doing a routine ( like, dinner, bath, pajamas and a song, thats what we do) then put him awake in his crib.
    3) the hardest part is to let him cry, until he falls asleep. it may last 45 minutes, and your baby may be screaming. go , comfort him by patting his back, talk to him, but dont pick him up. If you pick him up after 20 minutes, because you are becoming hysterical, you will only teach him to scream louder next time.

it will take about a week of tight routine and crying at bedtime, but you will have good results. he will be crying less and less and when he is able to fall asleep on his own ( wich is the skill you are teaching him and its very important), you will be able to let him cry at night too, when he wakes up, until he can soothe himself back to sleep without your intervention. Its hard for me too but I have good hope. Good luck !
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 5:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2011