Newbie Needs Help?

Well i will be a first time mother and was wondering if anybody could help me with this i was going to see about getting one of those travel ssytems that ahs the car seat but this is where i get confused at i want one that can grow with my kid so if i get a infant travel system nad the head rest thing ( newborns) can be taken out does that mean i can use it fotr when the baby gets older nad then use the stroller for when hes a toddler nad stuff? i know this sounds stupid but i am not used to the whole concept yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can use the stroller after the baby outgrows the infant seat.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 8:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• well...the stroller that comes w/ your system probably will have some info on what age/weight is appropriate for the baby to ride in it...or you can go by the "when the baby can sit and hold up their head by themselves" rule. The car seat it comes with sometime will last you a year and sometimes (if your baby is bigger) may not. I got tired of lugging my child IN the car seat eveywhere. The seat plus the baby was getting crazy heavy by say, 5-6 mo and the stroller that came with my travel system was too big and cumbersome i switched to a smaller umbrella stroller...if i had it to do over again i wouldn't get a travel system b/c i def did not get my money's worth. or i'd buy a used one...but that's just me! hope it helps!! Goooood Luck with ur little one- i'm a first timer and we're having a blast!!
    Ms.JiggityJones

Answer by Ms.JiggityJones at 8:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• The infant seat will work for your child for about a year, then the stroller will be there for you. I chose to get an infant car seat, and they sell a carrier for it that is just wheels and a basket that you click your seat into. It is MUCH smaller than the travel system stroller and lighter, too. So we used that until 7mo. Now we have a convertible car seat she'll have for a couple years and a stroller that is lightweight. Most of the travel system strollers are beasts!! A good one I've found is the Graco Metrolite travel system, its stroller is less bulky than most.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• don't count on the infant seat for a whole year! there is no telling how big your baby will be. mine is 18lbs at 4 months and is already too big for his carrier. the stroller will last longer. i think its good to have two strollers: a light weight umbrella stroller for short trips and a bigger travel system type for bigger trips. the big strollers are great for storage of the many things you bring with you on big outings like a trip to the zoo. Anyway, i have used my travel system like crazy the past four months and will keep using the stroller here out.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• You can use the infant seat with the headrest for a while. Most of the carseats have a weight limt starting around 22 pounds. Unfortunatly, they don't make a car seat/stroller combo that will grow with your child. Once your baby grows out of the infant seat, yes certainly you can use the stroller, but you will need a bigger car seat and at this point she will most likely be forward facing and they make strollers that will grow with her. After she outgrows that one, she'll need a booster.
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2008