Do you put your 3-4yo in a lifejacket on the beach? Why/why not?

thanks!!
:o)

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 1:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I never have, but it's only because she is not in the water without me or DH being right there.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I don't let my child far enough to need one, if we are going in the water then maybe yes, but just to wear around the beach no, its hot and uncomfortable.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• If he's more than ankle deep, then yes. We don't go to the beach that often because it's so cold and over an hour away. But in wave pools in water parks, if he's more than ankle deep, the waves knock him on his butt. So he wears a life jacket.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• i would probably have my ds in a lifejacket because all it takes is looking away for just a few seconds, and he's off and running if your not holding on to him.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No, we don't put one on our 2 yo unless he's going in the water. If we are just building a sandcastle there's no point in restricting his movement. We are at the beach a lot since both my parents and our inlaws have a 2nd house down there - he knows not to go in the water without an adult, but we still don't let him out of our sight. My 2 yo loves to go in the water, but he will also play in the sand for a long time.

Answer by missanc at 1:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• check out one step ahead website - they have special things for children that age to help them swim and stuff. I just bought a puddle jumper for my soon to be two year old and it says pool & beach. So I would do what you feel comfortable with. You might just have to see, esp if it is your first ocean trip. I would get one just in case.
    SweetPea1617

Answer by SweetPea1617 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• DD is 3 and hasn't been to the beach since she was one, but the only beach we ever go to has FREEZING water, even in the summer, so she wouldn't even be playing in the water, and she does not go anywhere in public unless she is holding mine or daddy's hands, so I would say probably not.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Always, he's 4 and never been near water without one. Generally because we normally are on a boat, not just on the beach.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No. My kids are afraid to run in the water. They play by the edge. But even with my older son who was more aggressive we didn't. It would be so uncomfortable. We always go in with them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No. I never thought of it, but wouldn't that interfere with a child's ability to swim?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2011