How do you get a 3yo to sleep in their bed?

My 3yo, Elijah, does NOT sleep in his bed. We can put him in it but he immediately gets up and goes to the gate (right in front of his door) and then WHEN he falls asleep (usually between 20min to an hour), he does so right there.

I want him to learn to sleep in his bed but I have no idea how to do that. Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks so much!

ElijahsMom211

Asked by ElijahsMom211 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried sleep training? I did this with my little guy and it worked pretty good. If you put her to bed asleep does she stay in bed?
    SweetPea1617

Answer by SweetPea1617 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Super Nanny Style.. !! keep bringing him back until he gives up - I can't explain it as much as the show can - you should go on the site and look it up though - its worth a shot..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It's very rare if Elijah is asleep before it's bedtime. He was last night and I have a feeling that when he woke up in the middle of the night, he moved out of it and to the floor. What's sleep training?? I'll have to look it and the SN style up..

Oh he's tired but he doesn't want to go to sleep. He doesn't want to miss anything and he likes being around people.
    ElijahsMom211

Comment by ElijahsMom211 (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You will get tired and frustrated but every time he gets up and goes to the gate pick him up and lay him back down say I love you its time for bed good night. He will get up as soon as you cross the door turn around pick him up and put him back on the Super nanny the guy had to do it like 20 times but the kid finnaly realized he wasnt going to win and got tired of it and tired of crying and stayed in his bed. You want to clear this problem up quickly i know someone who didnt and theyre kid is 11 years old and still sleeps on there floor in there bedroom...
    alexareh

Answer by alexareh at 3:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Just let him sleep on the floor... he'll learn that his bed is MUCH more comfortable then the hard floor.
    My son got out of bed and slept by the door for awhile after we put him in a bed vs crib... I used to bring him to his bed but after awhile I just left him and it only took 2 nights on the floor for him to figure out it wasn't the best spot to sleep.
    It won't hurt him at all if he sleeps on the floor... it's not worth fighting him on it. Show him how to grab his pillow and blanket if he chooses to sleep on the floor so he's more comfy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:12 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Ami - he's been sleeping on the floor for at least a year and half. He broke his crip around 1yr and we used the pack n play for a few more months until he grew too big for it and we got him a toddler bed. He only sleeps in it IF we read him to sleep..
    ElijahsMom211

Comment by ElijahsMom211 (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2011