Why won't he pee in the potty instead of in a corner?

DS just turned 2 a few months back he got intrested in going potty so we started him out. Just a go with the flow thing. He did great but then lost intrest. Which I heard is totally normal.
he has been showing all the signs of being ready to potty train so a couple days ago I got big boy underwear and started potty training. I didn't have to do anything with pooping. In fact he goes everytime on his potty. However with peeing that is a whole other story. He will hold it for hours and no matter how long he sits on his potty or the big potty he won't go pee. Then as soon as I put his underwear on and I'm out of the room he goes and pees. He has peed on the dog bed twice, the floor next to or bed, and next to the french doors. All the other times he has been outside.
I've tried standing him on a stool in the bathroom and getting him to pee on the cherrios, I've tried showing him a toy going pee. I used a water bottle with yellow food coloring in it to show him the toys "pee". He gets really excited for the toy but still won't do it himself.

I guess i should be happy that he is going poop but I don't want to put him in diapers or pull ups just so he will pee.

MrsLLove

Asked by MrsLLove at 2:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well my son showed interest this age, and would pee and then not poop then after a month wouldn't do either then I waited another 6 months and tried again, still not "ready" then 3 months later it happened all in one week, being totally day and night trained.. I think I got lucky with the night because that just happened on its own - maybe he's just not FULLY ready, you know?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yeah. He knows what he is doing though because after he pees he always shouts yeeeaaahhh! I'm going to give him another day or 2 and see from there.....
    MrsLLove

Comment by MrsLLove (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Put him in the bathroom with the baby gate in the door and tell him he doesn't come out until he pees in the potty. He will fight it at first but if you stick with it he will get that you mean business.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 2:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Thanks treynlisa but that's not really my parenting style.
    MrsLLove

Comment by MrsLLove (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Make him clean it up himself. Vinegar and water is safe for him and will take the urine smell out.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Good idea Zakysmommy!
    MrsLLove

Comment by MrsLLove (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2011