Insurance co-pay

Why do I still have to fork over a co-pay when I end up paying for the entire appointment out of pocket because insurance doesn't cover the services? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just say I don't have insurance and pay for the procedure anyway but get to keep my $40 co pay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think you need to call your insurance provider to make sure you are going to a provider that is in their network, just so you know sometimes they send you a bill and inusrance has not applied to the procedures yet, the co-pay should come off of the balance,, do you have a large deductible or something? You can demand they check with your provider before they do anything to be sure that your covered, but something doesn't sound right,,so I would investigate!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Why do you still end up paying the whole amount? Have you not met your deductible?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 2:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• That doesn't make sense. Your co-pay should be applied toward the bill if they don't accept your insurance.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Some urgent cares Ive been to are cheaper when a person doesnt have insurance which doesnt make sense so I just tell them I dont have insurance. Now since I am on the states insurance I have full coverage and dont pay anything so its nice.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2011