Shouldn't there be labor laws against this heat?

My step-dad works at a metalworks foundary and in the summer temperatures in the building are in the 120's. Similarly, the paper plant where I work gets well into the 100's as well. (Luckily I work in a temp controlled lab.) It seems like there should be some labor laws requiring ac or something. If you're working outdoors, at least there is fresh air and a breeze.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think there should be as well, my husband works in factorys where it hits above 100, there is no ac in the bulidings and he says he sweats his "balls off" lol...someone somewhere should make that law in effect for all factorys that dont have ac. Thats just my opinion.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• OSHA might have some rules to follow. But i think it's kind of one of those things where you take the job with the understanding that it sucks sometimes...
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• There should be requirements for frequent breaks and lots of water.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Have you tried googling your state's labor laws? or L&I?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• There aren't.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• LOL yes, people who work outside get the breeze (if they're lucky) and fresh air. My husband works outside for a living. They also get to deal with mud in the spring time which makes it almost impossible to move, insects, wildlife, and rain. And here in North Dakota they're still working outside when it's -40 plus a wind chill factor of -20.

Sometimes the job sucks, but that's a part of life.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 5:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I agree, you take the job knowing it sucks. My husband is Army. It was 123 degrees yesterday where he is. He sunburned through his uniform. No AC for them.
    Anonymous

• Cooling some factories/plants isn't realistic. It would cost too much...expenses add to the cost of the product. IMO sometimes you just have to suck things up..even when they stink. People lived for thousands of years without AC..still do in lots of places.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2011