• In the Spotlight:

Brain damage being noticed in ultrasounds

As I was getting ultrasounds after ultrasounds I informed them that I was drinking thru out my pregnancy.They told me repeatedly that the baby was growing just fine and that she si doing good.F.Y.I Im not drinking.I would do it off and on off and on.But any ways when they do they level 2 ultrasounds and they look at all the insides and things would they have been able to tell me if her brain was really messd up from me drinking?I did some research that parents who drink when pregnant child can get cerebal palsy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well it's pretty stupid of you to drink knowing the risks.... they don't always see everything on an u/s, no. There is a chance she could have brain damage and they couldn't see that. Just because the brain is developing properly doesnt mean it's going to function properly. She could have several problems.... this is sad.
    Anonymous

• your dumb why would you drink throughout your pregnancy?You do not deserve your child, do him/her a favor and put it up for adoption.
    Anonymous

• sounds like maybe you shouldn't be drinking . . .FAS and other complications of alcohol introduce to the fetus are nasty things. they don't always show up on sonos, nor immediately at birth. sometimes it takes a while to present.
    Anonymous

• You can ask your doctor. What were you drinking and how much? Cause I have hear that a glass of wine was ok while pregnant even as far as a beer... But I'd ask your doctor before you took another dink. Some babies can be OK. while others after ONE drink end up messed up.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Fetal Alcohol Syndrome might now show up on the level two u/s.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 8:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• OMG ANON 8:32
    She is worried and that is what yo say to her.
    I dont agree with her drinking but come one that is a little harsh.
    OP
    They can always see EVERYTHING on a US
    Anonymous

• Anon 7:36...They CAN"T ALWAYS see EVERYTHING on a US
    Anonymous

• How much damage have you done? There is no way to tell. It all depends on how much you drink and what is developing in the baby while that alcohol is flowing through her little body. One drink will damage some cells which the baby's body can repair pretty well. Many drinks will do permanent damage. You can look up the effects of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome yourself.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• And no, ultrasound can't detect everything, not even level 2. Physical damge - usually. Mental problems - never. Some of the damage may not be apparent until she enters school and starts having a hard time and falling behind her classmates.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• ANON 8:38
    SORRY I MADE A TYPO THEY CANT SEE EVERYTHING.
    YOUR RIGHT TO CORRECT ME. i DONT WANT TO GIVE HER THE WRONG ADVICE.
    OP
    SORRY FOR THE TYPO IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE CANT.
    Anonymous