Neighbors dog

Ok so here's the situation. Our neighbors NEVER keep their dogs in their yard. They run around the neighborhood like they own the place. There's a chihuahua who gets into our back yard and tries to fight my lab and German Shepard. If my dogs hurt this dog in OUR yard am I still liable for the neighbors dog? We let our dogs out to play and potty in our fenced in back yard but they are inside dogs and never get out of the fence plus we have an invisible fence around the whole yard just as added security our dogs are safe. This dog will come after our dogs though in our fenced in back yard. Its small so it squeezes through the cracks in the gate. Can they make me put my dogs down for attacking a dog in our yard?

onemellowmom

Asked by onemellowmom at 2:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Pets

• If the dog is killed or injured in YOUR yard you are not liable in almost every state. It's their responsibility to keep their dogs safe and enclosed, not yours. Also, make sure your dogs are current on their immunizations, heart worm, etc... because if they let their dogs run like that you have to wonder if they keep up with those things as well. Also, check Fosters & Smith because there might be something there that you can spray on the perimeter of your yard to keep the other dog out.
    jandshyne

Answer by jandshyne at 2:07 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• It probably varies from state to state and county to county. Contact the local animal control office.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 2:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I don't think so, they are the ones breaking the law by having their dogs loose.

Answer by older at 2:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Do u mean attacking their dog in your yard? No they cannot make u put your dogs down. The neighbor is at fault! Did u tell the person to keep her dog out of your yard?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Y does the shelter let her get the dog back? That is just crazy!! Your yard is fenced in and it is private property,if her dog gets her it is her fault not yours!! Just hope her nasty dog has all its' shots and does not give your dog anything!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It's obvious that talking to your neighbors isn't going to make them care or turn them into responsible owners. The only other option you have is one more layer of fencing. Electric. Maybe getting it's little nose zapped would convince the chi to go pest someone else.

Personally, I'd wait for the dog to come through the fence again, crate it, and donate it to a shelter at least 100 miles away. I know gas is pricey right now, but what you would save on stress would be worth the cost of the gas. If the local shelter and/or the cops will not act, do it yourself. There is no reason for you to be constantly watching out for a neighbor's dog when you have gone to so much trouble to secure your own.

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No way...and if i were you i would say something to them. Tell them to keep their dogs on a leash. I dont know where you live but here in Ohio there are rules about keeping your dog leashed and if they arent then there will be a huge fine. Next time the dogs are in your back yard messing with your dogs get out your video camera and film it and then call the police and report it. Good luck.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I honestly dont know. If i were you i'd call the local law enforcement and animal control so they are aware of the situation. If something ever does happen, there will be documentation that the neighbor dogs were already an issue and were the aggresive ones. Depending on the attitude of the owners, i might go talk to them just to let them know what is going on in your yard, and see if they'll do anything about it.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• i think in alabama, they're at fault so you don't have to do anything about ur dogs (i live in bama too)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yes, and no! Yes because it is your yard, but not fully because the dog was not controlled! They will most likely be fined and they will lose there dog! My sugesstion is that you see the dog--whether you know whos it is or not call the police and report stray dog, or take it to S.P.C.A. If they want it that bad they will get the point!
    Hayleesgmom

Answer by Hayleesgmom at 10:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2011