How do you brush a 2 yr old teeth?

I always have a hard time trying to brush them. Sometimes she wont open her mouth or she will snatch the tooth brush and just suck the toothpaste off. What do you do when brushing your babys teeth? I also let her look at videos where other kids are brushing their teeth....didn't work!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I brush my teeth with my kids and show em how white mine are, and show them how to brush....maybe she would be interested then?
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 3:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• we've been brushing DS's gums since he was little so he was used to it by the time his teeth came in. Good luck though!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Use an electric toothbrush. My older ones still like the ones that play music and they have to brush while the music is playing. But my 2 yo likes the ones that spin - he thinks they tickle!

Answer by missanc at 3:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I let him do his first, then when I'm done I sit on the tub and ask to see his and to help. He hops in my lap and I do a once over.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• i hold mine upside down and sing, that's the only way i can get her mouth open. her teeth aren't white i'm doing a terrible job, i'd like to know too
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My son is 20 months, I have been letting him "help" brush for a while now, so he is kinda used to brushing. We bought him a tooth brush that sings for as long as you are supposed to brush and it seems to help too. Also I get him to roar like a lion, so his mouth is wide open for me to brush them first. Then I let him do it by himself while I am diapering and dressing him.
    giggls2hrd

Answer by giggls2hrd at 11:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• my two year old has always known that he doesnt get to touch the toothbrush until mommy is done brushing, and then he gets to brush his tongue. i dont know when i started... it was prob like 18 mo or so. but i make it fun. make funny noises when he opens his mouth certain ways ('ahhhhh' for opening his mouth wide and 'eeeeeee' for opening with his teeth still touching) and do it with him. open your mouth the way he should and just have him mimick you
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 8:36 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I let my 2 year old daughter brush mine, then I brush hers.
    mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 4:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My introduced my daughter to brushing around 9 MTHS. So I don't know were having a hard time. She likes to play with the tooth brushinstead of brushing....thanks ladies for your comments im going to try a couple of them
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• The electric toothbrush seems to work for us. His dad and I both use electric toothbrushes, and my son would get mad when his toothbrush didn't make the same buzzy sound as ours did, and he wouldn't cooperate with getting his teeth brushed. But he would take my toothbrush and make a noise and brush his teeth with it. It finally dawned on me to get him an electric toothbrush of his own and he loves to use it now.
    gerims

Answer by gerims at 3:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2011