What is your take on food dye?

Now, I have heard the food dye(food coloring) can cause ADHD and cancer.

Do you believe this to be true.

Red 40, yellow 7, and blue 5.
At least I think those are right, have been proven to cause certain diseases and illness in children.

I don't know what to believe in, but I knw that the fruit gummy snacks that I give to my children have food dye in it.

Now I am a mother of moderation.
I think it is ok to give my kids snack and candy, but in moderation. They are kids and thats what kids do, but again in moderation.

styhmMommy

Asked by styhmMommy at 3:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I know red40 makes my oldest child nuts. I avoid all fake colors as much as humanly possible.
    Anonymous

• I know my son gets severely affected by Dyes and High Fructose and since taking it out 2 weeks ago, you can already see positive changes in behavior and focus and he's only 3-1/2 - his chances of adhd are 90% since DH and I both have it and I think I want to just get ahead of the game for him - there are many fruit snack and chips and everything really without them but more with them..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I am not sure I believe it causes diseases but I do believe it is unnecessary crap. I avoid it as much as possible. Not saying my kids never have a sucker or a bag of gummie bears but if there is a dye free option I go for that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• All I can say is that from an experience I had with my 3 year old at the time. I always bought Juicy Juice Apple juice in the little boxes for him and he would sip on a box throughout the day (he always had water to drink too). One day I bought him the Juicy Juice in the blue box for a change. He drank it for 3 days (3 boxes total) & suddenly my kid was a wild man! Hyped up, wild, irritable, frustrated etc. I could only think of one thing he was eating differently, the blue juice! I put it away & returned to apple juice & within a day, he was back to his old self again. So yes, NO BLUE dyes for us here.  I even posted a question about it at the time here on CM & got a lot of similar replies.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Food dyes are toxic. There is no need for them, they are just added chemicals. We do our best to go dye free, and my business deals in all dye free foods. But there are times when you just can't get around it. I won't deny us things because of dye, but I do my best to avoid them when there are other options. And there usually are other options, or I can make things at home and just leave that out... I mean, if you're going to buy sugar cookies with green and blue icing, you can just as easily make sugar cookies and use white. But when Halloween comes around I don't weed out all the MMs and Swedish fish just because of the dye... So I say avoid as much as humanly possible!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2011