Christians who converted.

to another religion or became an atheist, how did your family and friends react?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 3:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My Mother stopped talking to me, she was the one that took it the hardest.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• While I have always been an atheist, I was raised in a Christian family and was baptized and confirmed and all that. I pretty much always let them know I didn't believe, but I think they just figured that if they kept dragging me along, I would eventually get with their program. Oh well. Some of my family didn't care, and some really did. My dad doesn't care. I think it really bothers my stepmom, but she doesn't discuss it and is very accepting. It caused some major problems with my biological mother, but she's not in my life anymore, so it doesn't really matter. The only one I won't discuss religion with is my grandmother. She will be 90 this year and I think it would kill her to know I don't believe what she does.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I grew up Christian and like PP, I went through most of the sacraments, even though I was very wary. I basically did it for my mom, if nothing else. The day of my confirmation, I told my mom that I no longer wanted to attend church with her. She asked me why and I told her because I don't believe. She was very accepting of my decision and never pushed it on me. From the time I was about 8 or 9 I had always told her i would never get married in a church and she was always cool with that too. My grandmother is the only one who really has any kind of issue but she doesn't push me either.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My family doesn't care, quite honestly. I never had a problem stating I was atheist and have only encountered negative reactions online. Where I live, most people mind their own business anyway and don't discuss religion or politics, except in general terms.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 4:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Forgot to say - I was raised catholic if that matters to the discussion.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 4:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I was raised in a fundie household, I payed lip service until they were no longer able to control me. At that point, I made my reality known. I was completely cut off by friends and family who I had known for years... Most of whom do not speak to me ot this day, I'm much better off without them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Though I was rasied Christian, I never considered myself one. Anyways when I told my family they simply asked why to gain a better understanding of how my beliefs were different and that was that. No freaking out, no trying to get me back to church, just simple acceptance of my differing opinion on the amtter, but I tend to have pretty awesome family and friends.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My mother did not have any complaint. In fact, she seemed indifferent.
    My father, however, was very upset. He immediately wanted to debate me about the Bible vs. the Qur'an. Christianity vs. Islam. I think he took it so too heart as if it were a personal failure because he didn't lead me down the "right path." I don't think he understands that the path for him may not be the path for me. I hope that he will become more understanding, if Allah wills.
    mamanoora

Answer by mamanoora at 6:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I was raised to be Christian, but rejected it at a young age. So once I was out of the house they pretty much knew it was coming. I had been studying Paganism since I was 6. That said, they are JWs and still do their best to ignore my beliefs because they believe I'm possessed...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Broke my mothers heart, broke my fathers heart and he got angry when he heard I had my church membership removed.
    My older sis was already a black sheep so she didnt care.
    My younger two sisters didnt get it and questioned me then stopped asking questions as they feared knowing too much and being warped.

My mom wont discuss it but believes Im going to hell in a handbasket and my grandma just prays I come back to Christ(but she is in her late 80's so I dont bother trying to argue it all with her, I just keep her level cuz she wigged out the first time it was discussed and I didnt want her having a heart attack as it was shortly after my grandpa died).

I didnt have the luxury of sitting them down and telling them myself. My youngest sis and I talked about stuff and she went and told on me(so to speak). So all I got was the sadness/hurt, the anger, and the passive pretending it doesnt exist.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2011